Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

Just another Brexiteer trying to fool the hard of thinking that the UK now trading with "third nation" status is somehow the fault of the EU and not the fault of those who misguidedly voted for brexit.

With a rabid right wing press and a BBC pretty much emasculated (eg the current chairman is a tory donor) Freeman will almost certainly get away with it as well. He knows it too....

32 minutes ago, Len Trench said:

Apparently BoJo is bringing back Imperial weights and measures; and a pint glass will be allowed to be marked with a crown, banned by the EU.

Let's hope that makes up for there being shortages of goods, a massive shortage of useful people and the export and services economy being ****ed*.

* I accept that the average Brexit supporter doesn't care about any of that.

Reverting to old fashioned measurements is a strong indicator of who their core audience is. Most of us have no idea how many shillings there are to a yard.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:24 PM, pongo said:

On 9/16/2021 at 8:24 PM, pongo said:

Reverting to old fashioned measurements is a strong indicator of who their core audience is. Most of us have no idea how many shillings there are to a yard.

These are not “old fashioned measurements “ They are current  measurements ( there are still 1, 760 yards in a mile)

We adopted the metric system for some measurements as our European neighbours found dividing by twelve too difficult, for example.

We should use Brexit as an opportunity to return to measurements that served us well for centuries. What is wrong with 240 pennies to the pound, chains, furlongs etc?

On 9/14/2021 at 11:12 AM, VikingRaider said:

Is anyone getting bored of MTP whining and bleating about how unfair that his side actually lost a democratic vote instead of getting on with it. I certainly am. What a dick.

You are welcome to contribute and highlight the benefits of brexit.  I added a couple earlier and we can now add;

1.  The crown can be added to a pint glass once again.

2.  Imperial weights and measures can be used on packaging.  (Just ignore the fact that it always could be and that metric just had to be the predominant measure).

If I recall correctly the UK signed up to another international treaty on in relation to using the metric system well before the EU existed.  If I can find the details I will add it.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

These are not “old fashioned measurements “ They are current  measurements ( there are still 1, 760 yards in a mile)

We adopted the metric system for some measurements as our European neighbours found dividing by twelve too difficult, for example.

We should use Brexit as an opportunity to return to measurements that served us well for centuries. What is wrong with 240 pennies to the pound, chains, furlongs etc?

The extra paperwork etc on importing and exporting and adding inevitable cost to the bottom line is one of the many downsides of brexit.

Having to add yet another layer of paperwork with conversion from imperial to metric and back again is, like leaving the Customs Union, beyond stupid.

But as a sop to the hard of thinking it might have some traction as they pay increased prices for goods thanks to brexit...

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The extra paperwork etc on importing and exporting and adding inevitable cost to the bottom line is one of the many downsides of brexit.

Having to add yet another layer of paperwork with conversion from imperial to metric and back again is, like leaving the Customs Union, beyond stupid.

But as a sop to the hard of thinking it might have some traction as they pay increased prices for goods thanks to brexit...

This is one of the whole reasons for the Brexit vote.

Don’t you get it ?. Britons were sick of kow towing to rules and laws  made elsewhere.

If you are happy to sacrifice sovereignty for ease of paperwork then fair enough.

Edited by The Voice of Reason