Fc Isle of Man….who is paying for it?

Nomadic Raptor

But is the 2000+ through the gates enough to cover all the costs?  They had to pay for the team to fly over and put them up in hotel for night.  Isn’t cheap for what I presume will be traveling party of 20.   Plus you then have over heads of bowl rental etc. 

I want to get behind it but when they are being economical with the truth it’s hard.  I saw somewhere it costs Jersey in the region of 125,000 a year in costs.

simple maths says if it costs 6000 per game over 40 games a season that is 240,000 required.  Why can’t they just say that there is a rich benefactor behind the scenes who is providing the capital for it as I dread to think that they are doing it all on bank loans as this weekend was the first time they will have played and earned money after 14 straight away games

On 10/30/2021 at 8:38 PM, Declan said:

Good game. 2-1 to FCIOM. Losing 1-0 at half time. Like how the Manx team tried to play the ball out of defence. Attendance  1,629. Catering a bit overstretched. 

Playing the ball out of defence is a top level strategy when you have the players with the football intelligence to do that. At this level it’s about booting the ball up the park and being very robust. Ravens have some very talented players and they will learn that sometimes robustness trumps talent. But I think they will learn and get there. I think part of it is that before all they players knew each other playing locally and now they face teams they know little about and can be very dirty. I can’t wait for next home game.

Attendance seems to have increased to 2012 from what was announced on the night. That's a good start. Looking at this https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/global/attendances/  the only North West Counties teams getting near that level are Macclesfield (in the NWC Premier Division - avg 2682) and Bury (in the NWC North - 1364), both of whom are pheonix clubs from recently bankrupt League Clubs. Hope they can sustain it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders said:

To be fair to the clubs that have attendances below or around 100, they have bigger clubs on their doorstep whereas we don't.

Oh yeah but they've not set the team up to compete at this level permanently. But the danger here is there's no tradition of regular game going. Will it become a habit?

I'll certainly go to as many games as I can, but then I like my football. I was surprised at the lack of advertising at the match. MT, NK construction and Robinsons was all I could see, so it doesn't look like many businesses are getting behind it. 

18 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

But is the 2000+ through the gates enough to cover all the costs?  They had to pay for the team to fly over and put them up in hotel for night.  Isn’t cheap for what I presume will be traveling party of 20.   Plus you then have over heads of bowl rental etc. 

I want to get behind it but when they are being economical with the truth it’s hard.  I saw somewhere it costs Jersey in the region of 125,000 a year in costs.

simple maths says if it costs 6000 per game over 40 games a season that is 240,000 required.  Why can’t they just say that there is a rich benefactor behind the scenes who is providing the capital for it as I dread to think that they are doing it all on bank loans as this weekend was the first time they will have played and earned money after 14 straight away games

Sponsors are all listed on the website, facebook etc

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Quilp covered this in his post of the 8th October when he questioned why people would be interested or curious  in the economics of the venture.

And like I said before there is no way local companies after Covid etc are going to be stumping up 20/30k to sponsor a football team.  They said in radio finances were okay but where is the money coming from? Nobody has been able to answer it

12 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

And like I said before there is no way local companies after Covid etc are going to be stumping up 20/30k to sponsor a football team.  They said in radio finances were okay but where is the money coming from? Nobody has been able to answer it

Maybe because it is none of your business

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Layman said:

Maybe because it is none of your business

Exactly and it is obviously being covered.

I think people might be surprised at what sort of figures a business like MT are prepared to throw at something like this.

The “20-30k” mentioned is a junior staff members salary. It is quite possible that they see this as a better investment.

Ultimately until such a time as they ask for government money it is none of anybody’s business.

There are a lot of people with a real axe to grind about the whole setup though.

• Like 1