Fc Isle of Man….who is paying for it?

Nomadic Raptor

24 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Exactly and it is obviously being covered.

I think people might be surprised at what sort of figures a business like MT are prepared to throw at something like this.

The “20-30k” mentioned is a junior staff members salary. It is quite possible that they see this as a better investment.

Ultimately until such a time as they ask for government money it is none of anybody’s business.

There are a lot of people with a real axe to grind about the whole setup though.

I would rather the locals get behind FC Isle of Man and spend money with them than contribute to the obscene wage structures in the premier league. Even if Government decide to back them then it's no different to other sports that the government help out in. Manx Crabs doing what they do best.

Edited by Peter Layman
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, quilp said:

I think Ol'Voicey was comparing the pointlessness of both threads. What is this obsession with the financing? What is there to gain by knowing who gives what? 🙄 

Unless the OP is hinting there's something amiss...

I don’t think it’s an obsession, more idle curiosity. There is nothing more to gain from knowing who gives what, apart from satisfying that curiosity.

Conversely what’s to lose by offering up that information?

It’s odd what constitutes what people think,or don’t think,is anything of anyone’s business. Nothing to do with any possible wrongdoing

A previous thread alleging that HQ may have had an extra marital relationship was trundling along ( “He should be conducting himself properly being in the position he’s in, given up the right to privacy etc, etc”)

Then when it was suggested there may be a homosexual element to the alleged liaison or relationship it suddenly became the case that it all commentating ceased (back to “its nobody’s business” etc). All a bit odd

• Like 1

Was that what the Howard thread was about?

I don’t think it’s nobody’s business how the footy club is financed. People are being asked to take a leap of faith and become members, buy season tickets,  players are giving up time to travel away, the local league has lost it’s best talent. Personally, I don’t want to invest emotional capital into supporting a team that won’t be here next month. So I think it’s reasonable to ask is it financially stable? 

That said I don’t think there’s a Mr Big financier in the background. 

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t think it’s an obsession, more idle curiosity. There is nothing more to gain from knowing who gives what, apart from satisfying that curiosity.

Conversely what’s to lose by offering up that information?

It’s odd what constitutes what people think,or don’t think,is anything of anyone’s business. Nothing to do with any possible wrongdoing

A previous thread alleging that HQ may have had an extra marital relationship was trundling along ( “He should be conducting himself properly being in the position he’s in, given up the right to privacy etc, etc”)

Then when it was suggested there may be a homosexual element to the alleged liaison or relationship it suddenly became the case that it all commentating ceased (back to “its nobody’s business” etc). All a bit odd

Well, it was something of a giggle initially. When the gossip first aired my first thought was, what woman would deign to have an affair with Howard, as he's certainly no Rock Hudson looks-wise. Then, of course the gossip became a tad more nuanced when the alleged 3rd party was allegedly of the same sex. That's the top and bottom of it (no pun intended). It was at that point I figured on not commenting further. What wasn't known was being made up and it's entirely possible that other parties (Mrs HQ?, offspring?) had been adversely affected by whatever had occurred and allegedly revealed. Or not. I got the impression that the majority of posters felt the same way.

Besides, that thread ended-up being carpet-bombed by another posters fervent views on infidelity. Not that the posts were off-topic, just incessant and repetitive.

What HQ does in his private life is essentially HQ's business. It's better the thread appears to've fizzled-out because it was basically tittle-tattle and possibly subject to legal restriction somewhere down the line if what I've heard since is true.

Edited by quilp

Anyway getting back to the original topic, the funding of Isle of Man FC

It is something I and my friends have mused upon whilst having a beer in the pub. It’s what you do,like talking about the takeover of Newcastle United (not that there are any similarities, just football talk)

So why is it taboo and not a legitimate discussion for Manx Forums?

What is important here? The financing or the football? I personally would have no objection if some of my taxes are used to up the level of our national team, if that's the issue. Have the Steam Packet thought about offering a fare and accommodation deal to fans of visiting teams or fans to away games? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Anyway getting back to the original topic, the funding of Isle of Man FC

It is something I and my friends have mused upon whilst having a beer in the pub. It’s what you do,like talking about the takeover of Newcastle United (not that there are any similarities, just football talk)

So why is it taboo and not a legitimate discussion for Manx Forums?

Why not heave your arse down to the bowl and engage with the officials if it bothers you that much

2 hours ago, quilp said:

What is important here? The financing or the football? I personally would have no objection if some of my taxes are used to up the level of our national team, if that's the issue. Have the Steam Packet thought about offering a fare and accommodation deal to fans of visiting teams or fans to away games? 

This isn’t the national team

On 11/4/2021 at 7:40 AM, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m not sure the officials at the Bowl are that fussed about what gets discussed on Manx Forums

You could always go and ask the people responsible for the club?  That would seem the obvious place to start.  Are FC Isle of Man a listed company?  I can't be bothered looking as I am just excited to see the how the team perform and supporting them on their journey.

As I have said before I cannot imagine the club ever reaching the upper reaches of the league but if they can get close then that is a great achievement.  

• Like 3