Fc Isle of Man….who is paying for it?

Nomadic Raptor

I don't think there's anything earth shattering about the idea. Both Guernsey and Jersey have this kind of team already established. https://guernseyfc.com/news  https://bulls.je/

Yes the sums involved will be hefty, but if local businesses want to sink their money into it then brilliant. Government could do worse than use some of their tourism budget on it - it will bring some off season visitors to the island and would be no more wasted than sinking it into TT. 

Might be nice to see some proper football fans on the island if the away teams bring them - beats the plastic Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Man United fans you see in the pubs week in week out. 

The Bowl has always struck me as a bit of soul-less place and it will be interesting to see if they can sell out on a wet and windy night in November. 

15 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

I don't think there's anything earth shattering about the idea. Both Guernsey and Jersey have this kind of team already established. https://guernseyfc.com/news  https://bulls.je/

Yes the sums involved will be hefty, but if local businesses want to sink their money into it then brilliant. Government could do worse than use some of their tourism budget on it - it will bring some off season visitors to the island and would be no more wasted than sinking it into TT. 

Might be nice to see some proper football fans on the island if the away teams bring them - beats the plastic Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Man United fans you see in the pubs week in week out. 

The Bowl has always struck me as a bit of soul-less place and it will be interesting to see if they can sell out on a wet and windy night in November. 

Imagine for a fleeting second the money that could be generated if locals got behind this team instead of UK teams. They'll travel halfway around the world but can't be arsed going down the road.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

Imagine for a fleeting second the money that could be generated if locals got behind this team instead of UK teams. They'll travel halfway around the world but can't be arsed going down the road.

I mean the quality of the game can't really be compared with the Premier League or Champions League - but there has to be something to it as there are literally a few hundred non-league clubs scattered all over England and they seem to do alright. 

It's got the chance to be a success and add something to the local community. 

Not sure how it will fare when you have Liverpool v Man City as the premier league 5.45pm kick off in a heated pub and the Ravens playing at the wet and windy Bowl at 6.30pm. 

Does anyone know if there will be a bar at the Bowl? 

2 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

And all the while local football is struggling.  Laxey had to really scrape the barrel to pull a team together.

Is this something new?  I didn't play at senior level but can well recall under 14s sides struggling to put teams out.

If things were bad at that level it would suggest that senior sides would struggle later.

Under 14’s is always going to be flaky, kids get into different things. 

The issue in senior football is new. In the South, for example, there’s about three teams less than there had been previously. Ronaldsway no longer exist - losing the first and Combi with Colby only putting out a Combi team (a few years ago Castletown were in the same boat). 

It seems there’s three issues here 

- the best players at teams like Rushen are playing for FC IOM, so Colby’s best players were recruited for Rushen

- there’s an under 18’s team now & there’s a master's  league for oldies too. Traditionally a lot of Combis would have been made up of kids and old men. 

- a lot of the target age range are now off island at college.

19 hours ago, Declan said:

Under 14’s is always going to be flaky, kids get into different things. 

The issue in senior football is new. In the South, for example, there’s about three teams less than there had been previously. Ronaldsway no longer exist - losing the first and Combi with Colby only putting out a Combi team (a few years ago Castletown were in the same boat). 

It seems there’s three issues here 

- the best players at teams like Rushen are playing for FC IOM, so Colby’s best players were recruited for Rushen

- there’s an under 18’s team now & there’s a master's  league for oldies too. Traditionally a lot of Combis would have been made up of kids and old men. 

- a lot of the target age range are now off island at college.

The majority of local teams used to be who you knew not how good you were. Is that still the case and if so could that be the problem?

On 10/8/2021 at 1:22 PM, The Phantom said:

Yet now, there are loads of Geordie footyball fans celebrating, cheering and waving around the Saudi flag (which lets face it, is the ISIS flag in green). 

I've not seen a black and white striped shemagh yet, but give it time... 

Didn't take long..... 

image.png.4eddb53679c2f58a330263b243b05eb7.png

It's not so much the cost that would stop me being a regular attender, it's that it would take up a sizeable chunk of my Saturday. If I go to Rushen it's a couple of hours in the afternoon, and I'm home in time to cook tea and then I can go out in the evening if I want. Aside from the extra travelling time, the game will finish at 8:30 ish, which will bring it into conflict with some evening events. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, Declan said:

It's not so much the cost that would stop me being a regular attender, it's that it would take up a sizeable chunk of my Saturday. If I go to Rushen it's a couple of hours in the afternoon, and I'm home in time to cook tea and then I can go out in the evening if I want. Aside from the extra travelling time, the game will finish at 8:30 ish, which will bring it into conflict with some evening events. 

True , but it’s about the atmosphere of a big crowd especially under floodlights. Yes Rushen and Peel can get a decent crowd but I think FCIOM will get full houses every match especially if they do well. I can’t wait attend even in the rain and wind. Let’s support this great initiative. 

On 10/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, Declan said:

Think about the sacrifices your fellow Norwegian supporters have to go through. 
That should put it into perspective!