Firm closing

finlo

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not that Tesco UK prices are particularly cheap. The perception that they are has more to do with marketing than reality.

Also, now they have less competition and a much greater presence here, I'd be surprised if we don't see things change for the worse in that respect - at the very least staff wages will suffer.

They are particularly cheap compared to anything else we have here. Their prices are also comparable with all other major UK supermarkets who watch each other like hawks.

Edited by woolley

3 hours ago, Frances said:

Shoprite added 20-30% to Sainsbury's prices, so will be amazed if Tesco keep UK prices, certainly not for the out of Douglas stores, tho I was told they didn't truly match UK prices there but I haven't shopped at Tescos in UK or on Island for years, as M&S as well as the Coop upped their fresh produce and I try to avoid most ready meals would have liked to see a Morrison store return however.

This is just illogical. Shoprite did add 20-30% and more to Sainsbury pricing, and I can vouch that Tesco absolutely DID keep their UK pricing on most items when they could have tweaked it and still been price leader here. Could have, but didn't in over 20 years.

So why would they do so now? The only reason I can think of is the possibility that Tesco head office had no idea what Shoprite were charging, and it wasn't worth the hassle to them to find out. It just wasn't on their radar. Now they have the Shoprite secret scrolls laid out before them, and a bigger operation here, I suppose they could be tempted to take advantage. Let's see.

the knock on effect in all this will be felt by Robinsons  and some other local suppliers  who also employ 100's of locals   , just wait and see how far the local employment ripples  go , I dont' think government has given much thought to the sell out and takeover , and glib comments from the Chief Minister , watch this space !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Who is the “they” that are not letting Asda over here?

If you don’t know. I can’t say. Official secrets act and all that. I would love to tell you but then, well, you know the rest.

• Confused 1

We go to Shoprite for the local produce they sell.

So our concerns are all around how Tesco will treat the local producers. As Tesco seem to have a "sell it to us for this low price or you won't sell it at all" philosophy it could easily put operations like Laxey Mill into difficulties. Which would be a great shame as we think their product is far superior to anything else on offer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Langweilig said:

So, Tesco intend to buy Shoprite? It doesn't surprise me in the least because on 21 March 1997, Tesco announced the purchase of the retail arm of Associated British Foods, which consisted of the Quinnsworth, Stewarts and Crazy Prices chains in Ireland and Northern Ireland, and associated businesses, for £640 million.

26 years ago.

9 hours ago, Langweilig said:

So, Tesco intend to buy Shoprite? It doesn't surprise me in the least because on 21 March 1997, Tesco announced the purchase of the retail arm of Associated British Foods, which consisted of the Quinnsworth, Stewarts and Crazy Prices chains in Ireland and Northern Ireland, and associated businesses, for £640 million.

What’s that got to do with anything? 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Langweilig said:

Sounds like you bear a grudge🙄

Edited by emesde
Spelling

12 hours ago, mollag said:

The Nicholson group also own the Onchan precinct shopping mall, Tumbleweed Town to some, wondering if that white elephant will get a new colour 🤔

Hardly tumbleweed town, as far as I know every unit except what used to be Celtic Trader is occupied, including all the office facilities above the retail units.

• Like 1