Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

4 minutes ago, joebean said:

I often think that Alf Cannan talks quite well but his messages are contradicted and conflicted by what is actually happening. He attempts to reconnect with the public but ends up alienating people further. This message could have been delivered far more effectively with a bit more thought and positioning. First should have been a promise to examine, part of this "regrouping" (whatever that means in this context) current financial priorities and a refocussing on the delivery of core services before promising greater financial discipline. That would have got the public onboard and more accepting of tough decisions about service delivery. Instead, he comes up with some buzzwords (otherwise known as drivel) before flagging up further reductions in public services. This, after a tax rise. 

If this is reconnecting, I wonder what disconnecting would look like. The Cabinet Office, considering the huge salaries being pocketed there, should be better than this clumsy delivery; wise and experienced heads there should be giving the CM decent advice about policy and communications. We are paying handsomely for that but they fall far short of delivering the goods. Instead of professionalism and service to the public, we get what appears to be an amateurish shambles where self-interest and self protection is the priority. If that isn't the case, their communications are even worse than I think. I am struggling to think of one member of COMIN who is an effective and emphatic communicator. We just need more quality, everywhere.

Agree with all that, but how do we get 'quality' ?   I am 100% sure that there are some, a lot of,  quality CS, but the cream never seems to rise to the top. 

As for MHKs, when you have no hope of delivering the promises made on the doorstep (before a GE: "I want to give all kids free ice cream.on Fridays', after the GE 'yeah, but 23 people didnt agree.') because you are just one of many, how can that ever give quality?  

It is just a hugely flawed system, and we are starting to see the real cost of it. 

• Like 9

If it is as you say hugely flawed why do those who can redress those flaws , in perpetuity fail to address those flaws but rather prefer to wear wigs and dress up in posh gear now and again.

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Agree with all that, but how do we get 'quality' ?   I am 100% sure that there are some, a lot of,  quality CS, but the cream never seems to rise to the top. 

As for MHKs, when you have no hope of delivering the promises made on the doorstep (before a GE: "I want to give all kids free ice cream.on Fridays', after the GE 'yeah, but 23 people didnt agree.') because you are just one of many, how can that ever give quality?  

It is just a hugely flawed system, and we are starting to see the real cost of it. 

In the IOM its shit that floats to the top not cream!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

I have made the same point on here before.. we have a political system that delivers personality over policy, is not capable of allowing the voter to make democratic choices about policies and that is designed to limit and stifle opposition voices and debate. More often than not, far from encouraging those people on the Island who have conviction, experience of leading and the personal qualities required for the task of leading Government and communicating effectively, it discourages such engagement. Tynwald is uninspiring and its procedures lack relevance to this century. Change will never come from within; it’s a self-perpetuating entity feeding the interests of bureaucrats and the mediocre personalities sucked in and puffed up within its chambers. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, joebean said:

I often think that Alf Cannan talks quite well but his messages are contradicted and conflicted by what is actually happening. He attempts to reconnect with the public but ends up alienating people further. This message could have been delivered far more effectively with a bit more thought and positioning. First should have been a promise to examine, as part of this "regrouping" (whatever that means in this context) current financial priorities and a refocussing on the delivery of core services before promising greater financial discipline. That would have got the public onboard and more accepting of tough decisions about service delivery. Instead, he comes up with some buzzwords (otherwise known as drivel) before flagging up further reductions in public services. This, after a tax rise. 

If this is reconnecting, I wonder what disconnecting would look like. The Cabinet Office, considering the huge salaries being pocketed there, should be better than this clumsy delivery; wise and experienced heads there should be giving the CM decent advice about policy and communications. We are paying handsomely for that but they fall far short of delivering the goods. Instead of professionalism and service to the public, we get what appears to be an amateurish shambles where self-interest and self protection is the priority. If that isn't the case, their communications are even worse than I think. I am struggling to think of one member of COMIN who is an effective and emphatic communicator. We just need more quality, everywhere.

part of the problem is that when CABO was formed it was treated as an excuse to offload underperforming CS in the existing departments (to be seen to be doing something, and to assist Robertshaw). 

unfortunately that flotsam and jetsam got promoted, then started promoting itself from within. The same thing happened with DFE. Then nepotism ran rife.

considering that these two departments are supposed to lead, and be the experts, on policy and performance, well... their performance says it all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It's actually really quite simple to improve stuff overtime. 

Start from a measurable baseline and document how you are going to keep measuring.

Properly consider risk and impact. Then agree the budget and programme. Also how change to that will be managed. 

Execute 

Audit / measure 

Report outcomes and adjust. 

Go again.

We seem to Google Jersey, start 'something' wait to get asked how it's going (love.im cards), make up an excuse for why the public made it fail. Bury it, and hope it goes away. 

Really depressing to watch the same mistakes being made over and over again. Without people being sacked, and people who can understand the basics being brought in. Just look at the Island Plan performance figures, there is a senior CS paid a huge amount of money to monitor them. Instead the political system and by extension public get once a year 'its a moving and evolving plan' with no real reason as to why. 

Rubbish! 

• Like 9

On 4/5/2024 at 8:50 AM, english zloty said:

It's actually really quite simple to improve stuff overtime. 

Start from a measurable baseline and document how you are going to keep measuring.

Properly consider risk and impact. Then agree the budget and programme. Also how change to that will be managed. 

Execute 

Audit / measure 

Report outcomes and adjust. 

Go again.

We seem to Google Jersey, start 'something' wait to get asked how it's going (love.im cards), make up an excuse for why the public made it fail. Bury it, and hope it goes away. 

Really depressing to watch the same mistakes being made over and over again. Without people being sacked, and people who can understand the basics being brought in. Just look at the Island Plan performance figures, there is a senior CS paid a huge amount of money to monitor them. Instead the political system and by extension public get once a year 'its a moving and evolving plan' with no real reason as to why. 

Rubbish! 

Agree. 

The reality is residents are increasingly paying ‘first-world’ prices for ‘third-world’ quality public services. Cannan’s bleating about “financial discipline” is happening much too late. The fiscal ‘constraints’ they now face were needed years ago.

It seems that he and his Ministers are yet to discover Google…by that I mean if they had discovered Google then they would have been able to find the universally accepted definitions of poverty, and specifically, the UK’s definition of poverty. They would have also learnt that, although due to changes in child care benefits announced in the last IOM Budget some families will be better-off by circa £80pa, families in similar circumstances in the UK will be better-off by £1,500pa. Presumably, they would have also discovered that running a country with a population of 85,000 through multiple legal entities and an agency-model (DfE) and multiple desk jockeys in the Cabinet Office, etc, whose main job is to send emails to each other, is not an effective use of taxpayers’ money. Instead, they might have realised that these are wasteful, bordering on preposterous, priorities.

What this Government does not seem to understand is that if they don’t change the course, there will come the time when some residents, especially those working in the private sector and health and social care, will decide that living on the IOM is no longer advantageous compared to living in the UK, or Ireland, or Singapore, etc, etc. IMHO, if they leave then the current labour shortages, which in some sectors are already chronic, will become “you ain’t seeing nothing yet”.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

We can have as many ministers as we like, but it is acknowledged by MHK's that they don't run the island, the CS does and the MHK's are window dressing. Over many many years lots have been elected, and not one has been able to instigate any meaningful change ! Cannan talked the talk but we have 700 more CS.

The taxpayers cannot afford to feed this dinosaur and it will consume us all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I was pretty sure when I started this, Alf Carrans dream would  not want to be known as the CM that was shitter than Quayle.

Was Quayle's shittness made better or worse by the Pandemic?

• Like 2