Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

11 minutes ago, BriT said:

When even Tim Crookall can see through the rubbish concocted by the DfE then you really have to worry for Alf. 

Is that why he hoofed it then? Because he'd seen through the rubbish? Or is it because he's not ministerial quality? And that he's a duffer?

When he speaks he always brings to mind that of a thicko village constable giving evidence at his first Crown Court. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Aims are good. Wonder if he'll have the stones to make the changes necessary to hit them.

Agreed. I don't think it's achievable though.

Why go so wildly optimistic rather than having a reachable target? 

Ultimately he's not accountable anyway so it won't matter in the end.

• Thanks 1

In my own ill informed opinion. I think it is more of a plan for keeping the civil service happy . When asked if this would increase the size of government he replied, we would need more doctors dentists nurses and the such. When the question was meant to mean will the civil service be expanding.

Which we all know it is like the universe ever expanding. And always needing new contributers us.

13 minutes ago, quilp said:

Is that why he hoofed it then? Because he'd seen through the rubbish? Or is it because he's not ministerial quality? And that he's a duffer?

I’d guess that less than 10 people in Peel would support growing the population to 100,000 or more so he’s made the right move for him in advance of this announcement as he’ll never be able to justify it to the people who voted for him. Not withstanding it’s a stupidly crap idea punted by a totally clueless department anyway just to try to keep CS pensions being paid by any means possible.

Edited by BriT
Added pension bit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Agreed. I don't think it's achievable though.

Why go so wildly optimistic rather than having a reachable target? 

Ultimately he's not accountable anyway so it won't matter in the end.

Better to aim high and miss than aim low, hit, and make no difference I guess. It is certainly ambitious though.

Just now, BriT said:

I’d guess that less than 10 people in Peel would support growing the population to 100,000 or more so he’s made the right move for him in advance of this announcement as he’ll never be able to justify it to the people who voted for him. Not withstanding it’s a stupidly crap idea punted by a totally clueless department anyway. 

What alternative is there? Put pensioners back to work? Kill them all?

• Confused 1

What’s the funniest part of the plan - the population ambition, the gdp or the funniest by a mile the 500, 000 visitors a year?

Was this fairytale dreamt by CM Cannan, or was this shite written by KPMG, at great taxpayers expense?

• Like 3

Just now, BriT said:

Or cut back civil service pay Increase aspirations and pension expectations. 

Civil service is part of the problem, but it's a far cry from being the whole problem. Having 49% of the population economically inactive is atrocious and unsustainable.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

In my own ill informed opinion. I think it is more of a plan for keeping the civil service happy . When asked if this would increase the size of government he replied, we would need more doctors dentists nurses and the such. When the question was meant to mean will the civil service be expanding.

Which we all know it is like the universe ever expanding. And always needing new contributers us.

Who actually came up with this drivel? Allinson? CM Cannan? Ashford? Ex CM Quayle? Or Rob Callister …………….. improbable I know? 

• Like 2