Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The population was proved to have fallen at the last but one Census. They will need to work on the causes of that to prevent any reoccurrence if this ambition is to be realised.

Ah that'll be because the last but one census was accurate, whereas this one was a work of fiction to make Harmer look good 👍

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Absolutely this. MUA will already be working on their business case for a new reservoir and the additional sewerage funding will be nodded through. Last time MUA,then WA, just refused to support planning applications until they got their own way (2003 housing crisis). Then planning (see new built environment strategy) goes by the wayside. Then developers struggle to get staff, pushing up the cost.

Never mind Manx Development Corporation will solve all problems with the Nurses Home - hardly 1000 folk housed there. 

The old Nurses Home, will become the islands new expensive white elephant once completed. A place to house at taxpayers expense (subsidise) high flying civil servants, hardly the AOs, EOs and HEOs. The likes of DHSC high flying bigwigs and other departments will get first dibs. 

As an aside can the MDC not multi task and address the other derelict sites under control. Demesne Road is a mess, what’s happening, other than Ballacloan School will be a dumping ground for the MDC. Are plans being drawn up for the area, for housing, and approaches to purchase the around the Nurses Home and Demesne Road sites, and plans drawn up for housing, whether FTB or Social? 

"Growing the economically active population is vital to the growth of the future economy."

They propose a system that relies on the continued growth of the population - i.e. a pyramid scheme.

At some point it will fail, but in the meantime a few people will have made some money.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

"Growing the economically active population is vital to the growth of the future economy."

They propose a system that relies on the continued growth of the population - i.e. a pyramid scheme.

At some point it will fail, but in the meantime a few people will have made some money.

Sounds like a Manx Ponzi Scheme, headed by the Slick Super Salespeople, CM Cannan, Allinson et al. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

And here's a shiny presentation on it

Written by people who like large fonts, lots of pictures, and the brightest colours in the crayons box.

Is that the way they think, or have they presented in the Janet and John style so that semi-morons like me can understand it?

• Like 1

Same strategy from over 25 years ago that I saw in an MEA visit to what was then the new gas power station and the sweatshop old Douglas Corpy oil plant next door blah blah blah. They were projecting for 105k population on the basis of cost per unit sustainability in a year that is long past. Gibraltar had similar hopes of attracting new residents around 10 years ago and their net result in population increase is around zero to date. I am staggered at the brilliance in deduction of more people in the right economic category will pay more tax dollars whilst asking any incoming old folk to take almost unaffordable insurance for health care to assist.........same if not similar strategy to Gibraltar. No doubt there will need to be another report to analyse the progress given there were no experts on board to make the deduction in the first instance.

• Thanks 2

@Stu Peters asked a great question 'were the consultants telling us the time' to which Alf stated they absolutely deserved their new Rolex. Worth it's weight in gold infact. Well Stu, I think it's a knockoff off the market mate. My old grandma could tell you all about them headwinds (problems, challenges etc  😉 )