Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It wont happen because its cheaper to use bigger roofs that already exist than 'help' those than can afford, paid for by those who cannot

@Fred the shred is confused

I'll explain

If there are grants for installing solar panels then they are just that, grants. Not funding. So, if you are poor you can't have one. If you are rich and can afford them why would you need help.

Having a solar panel on your roof is neither an altruistic gesture nor economically advantageous (the feed in tariff is terrible)

Seems to me that those with solar panels do it for the satisfaction and under the misconception that they are saving money.

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It must be an old April Fool

I can see the logic of Iceland becoming a giant geo thermal power plant and cabling out all the power though... .

Although, there is some DEEP ocean around there and the mid Atlantic ridge to negotiate. 

Faroes halfway might help.

Edited by The Phantom

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

I can see the logic of Iceland becoming a giant geo thermal power plant and cabling out all the power though... .

Although, there is some DEEP ocean around there and the mid Atlantic ridge to negotiate. 

Faroes halfway might help.

It was an old article from 2016 discussing the feasibility of supplying geothermal-generated electricity via cable to Aberdeen, the project having been mooted for several years previously...

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It must be an old April Fool

Seems the idea of having to build extraction and generation plants didn't go down well with the locals so we can assume it didn't amount to anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, quilp said:

@Max Power have you a link to this limited 4availability in the cable supply market? I did do a quick search on it but could find nothing relative.

Interesting that there's a consideration for a 1500km geo-thermal pipeline carrying energy from Iceland to Scotland. Great idea. 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/weve-cut-carbon-emissions-by-decimating-working-class-communities-the-leader-of-the-gmb-union-on-the-folly-of-net-zero/

It's an interview with the leader of the GMP Union. 

• Thanks 1

I am not confused several people in my neighbourhood have invested in solar power some for a a few years now and they all seem pleased with the reductions they have seen in their electric bills.    The sooner all new properties have solar panels as a matter of course the better, it is not much more expensive than a normal roof.   I prefer to take the word of people I know than an expert who has a very closed view on everything that doesn’t include wind turbines.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I am not confused several people in my neighbourhood have invested in solar power some for a a few years now and they all seem pleased with the reductions they have seen in their electric bills.    The sooner all new properties have solar panels as a matter of course the better, it is not much more expensive than a normal roof.   I prefer to take the word of people I know than an expert who has a very closed view on everything that doesn’t include wind turbines.    

I don't have a closed view. I agree that new houses should have solar panels. It's a good idea. I never said it wasn't . 

If you are not confused by a post of mine maybe you should not hit the confused reaction. That causes confusion , for obvious reasons.  

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Happier diner said:

@Fred the shred is confused

I'll explain

If there are grants for installing solar panels then they are just that, grants. Not funding. So, if you are poor you can't have one. If you are rich and can afford them why would you need help.

Having a solar panel on your roof is neither an altruistic gesture nor economically advantageous (the feed in tariff is terrible)

Seems to me that those with solar panels do it for the satisfaction and under the misconception that they are saving money.

I am not talking about grants. I am talking about IOMG buying and giving everyone one, 2KW solar cell, and installing it on the roof. The electricity feeds straight into the system. No batteries. No feed in tariff. As a thank you for allowing use of your roof, you get a discounted rate for your electricity. Very simple. Each PV panel costs around £2000. Total cost circa £50 million. Interconnect, and other sources to fill in when required (night time). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

I am not talking about grants. I am talking about IOMG buying and giving everyone one, 2KW solar cell, and installing it on the roof. The electricity feeds straight into the system. No batteries. No feed in tariff. As a thank you for allowing use of your roof, you get a discounted rate for your electricity. Very simple. Each PV panel costs around £2000. Total cost circa £50 million. Interconnect, and other sources to fill in when required (night time). 

Slight flaw in you arguement though. A PV installation on a roof is between £6000 and £10,000.

£2000 wouldn't even pay for the scaffolding.

That takes it to £250M.

Add the cost of an interconnector and you are approaching geothermal costs. Surprised you have mentioned tidal as well..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Slight flaw in you arguement though. A PV installation on a roof is between £6000 and £10,000.

£2000 wouldn't even pay for the scaffolding.

That takes it to £250M.

Add the cost of an interconnector and you are approaching geothermal costs. Surprised you have mentioned tidal as well..

I paid £14,600 for a string capacity of 6.8 kW and 10kWH battery. And that's in England, so on the rock I would expect it to be even higher.

• Like 1

I posted this on another topic, it's probably better here ....

Don't know about the debate bit, but I did see Daphne appearing to distance herself from the wind farm malarkey on twitter. It is perhaps that she can see the costly politically damaging cockup coming and decided it is better to keep her distance ! I'm not sure we have the money for forays such as this at the moment and just maybe she's decided the same !

The minute we are forced to raise income tax the island is truly fxxxed and imo we can't keep spending money like this at the moment whether or not we want to feel good about our part in the global climate change scene.

I'm all for renewables and the environment but we can't cut our own throats to do it !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Billy Bleach said:

I’ve just seen that this morning. Daphne is crackers. The climate change board tell the MUA that they need to find somewhere to put a wind farm. The MUA finds somewhere to put a wind farm and the head of the climate change board (who is her) then publicly says I don’t think you should put a wind farm there. She should resign she’s such a fraud. 

I think that the penny is starting to drop in Daphne's head that all stuff churned out by her 'climate change board' might not be the sure fire vote winner she thought it was. In fact, quite the opposite......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Billy Bleach said:

I’ve just seen that this morning. Daphne is crackers. The climate change board tell the MUA that they need to find somewhere to put a wind farm. The MUA finds somewhere to put a wind farm and the head of the climate change board (who is her) then publicly says I don’t think you should put a wind farm there. She should resign she’s such a fraud. 

She was complaining about the new offshore wind farm a few months ago.  It's almost as if she has no solutions to offer and complains when one is presented.

At least her new mansion will receive some hefty green grants though, so all's well that ends well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they are hell bent on having a wind farm, which I am not against but think it is premature, why don’t they do it properly and have enough turbines installed that would serve the whole Island.    If four will serve a quarter of the population that would be 16 by my reckoning whilst they are at it do a proper job not twiddling around with a few there will be the same amount of upheaval landing them , transporting them and installing them.   Grasp the nettles if there is a determination to follow this course.      Myself I would have gone for solar first and then in a few years time when turbines have been improved gone for them.

• Like 1