Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

Just now, 0bserver said:

The word unknown appears in that document 6 times. 

It gives me a feeling of Liverpool Landing Stage. 

I don't have any objection to wind farms being built, I just wish it wasn't MUA or any other IOM Government Qango building it. 

The killer will, as usual be something like:

Some members of the ODM Team were willing to make the deicions on cost alone. However, it was 
noted that there were unknown costs in mitigating additional unknown ecological risks

You just know, don’t you. We all just know. It’s going to be shit. Isn’t it. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I'm glad you said that, it's been pissing me off every time I hear this imaginary place 'Scards' being mentioned. 

You could I suppose, refer to 'THE scards' if you really wanted to, being that there are two Scard farms up there, upper and lower, but even that would be pushing it. 

There is one thing I'm curious about... they're proposing to add another £40m(+) to the MUA debt... that's already at about half a billion pounds. 

What is the plan to pay that off and when will it be cleared? 

They paid £55m alone this year just to service the debt... there's no way on earth that is sustainable. 

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say their £40m costing is accurate... you could build a wind farm every year for the amount it costs to just service the debt...

I don't know why they don't wait and see what the clever countries  are doing , and with the benefit   of knowing what works well ,   is financially viable ,and  possible to deliver on the isle of man , rather then pushing on regardless  of the financial crisis  we appear to be heading for , 

Can  a 83.000 population  support all these  pipe dreams   and massive  previous  financial overspends and disasters , 

18 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

There is one thing I'm curious about... they're proposing to add another £40m(+) to the MUA debt... that's already at about half a billion pounds. 

What is the plan to pay that off and when will it be cleared? 

They paid £55m alone this year just to service the debt... there's no way on earth that is sustainable. 

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say their £40m costing is accurate... you could build a wind farm every year for the amount it costs to just service the debt...

Err £30M

You are as bad at reading as Manx Radio?

Everyone has been moaning for the last 2 years that we are doing nothing to exploit the great potential of wind power. Now that we are guess what....? Every fucker is moaning on here. 

Do really people think wind turbines are free as well as invisible? 

Do you not realise that using wind actually saves money in the long run? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Err £30M

Everyone has been moaning for the last 2 years that we are doing nothing to exploit the great potential of wind power. Now that we are guess what....? Every fucker is moaning on here. 

From having a skim of the options paper this seems relatively good governance. Early doors feasibility, stakeholder consultation, allocated budget, proper sift of options and stage gates etc.  We will see whether this continues or whether there is a Tynwald motion that 'all wind farms should be constructed in Jurby' (as with the horse trams fiasco). 

The reality is 'do nothing' will not be an option as the existing CCGT & interconnector setup is coming to end of line / major renewal. Probably more important is what is done with the interconnectors (and how many) as the wind turbines will not provide sufficient resilience or system balancing for the local grid.

If onshore wind offers a competitive solution and reduces reliance on energy imports than this definitely should be considered, even if there is some negative visual amenity associated with it. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Err £30M

Haha I have no issue with wind turbines. 

I would just like to know there's a solid business case behind them. 

Like a proper business plan, not just Daphne and Tim Crookall telling us that they'll pay for themselves. 

Why are you so defensive?

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Haha I have no issue with wind turbines. 

I would just like to know there's a solid business case behind them. 

Like a proper business plan, not just Daphne and Tim Crookall telling us that they'll pay for themselves. 

Why are you so defensive?

I wasn't meaning to be defensive. Just frustrated by the abject negativity on here. Not like you to be that way. 

The MEA debt is our debt. Its a result of bad decisions and bad governance from some way back. It shouldn't be a reason for not doing something that is right at this moment in time. To not do something now is as bad as doing something badly wrong all those years ago.

The business case for wind power is well made. On shore is çheapest. 

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1