Katie Hopkins backlash..

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Only one conclusion. Hopkin lying, again. She thrives on the maxim of “no publicity is bad publicity”, and will say anything to earn a living, now she isn’t the right wing media’s darling, gobby, troll.

The whole thing has been a case study in Do Not Feed The Troll.

Edited by Declan

1 minute ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

That’s basically how libel works - you said something untrue if it is untrue you either withdraw the comment when requested to do so or you risk litigation. But I don’t see anyone threatening to sue anyone or asking for an apology here. All I can see is people defaulting to discrediting Hopkins as a liar because she has previously been sued for libel. That really does not make anything she might possibly say from that day forward untrue by default. The claims have been made so if people object so much it’s up to them to resort to the lawyers if they think they are baseless or otherwise seek an apology or other redress. Although as I said above I think it’s certainly something Douglas Council should properly investigate under the code of conduct as the claims of inappropriate behaviour have been made publicly in a mainstream news feature and attributed to known persons. 

Thing is, nobody here's discredited KH as a liar specifically because she's been sued for libel, or even because she's lied in the press repeatedly in the past and subsequently had to issue apologies and retractions.  

The core issue is around the specific claims she made, which are either potentially defamatory or are factually untrue. In the unlikely event it goes legal, it would be interesting. Would be very expensive, probably for the impoverished KH.

DBC should investigate only when it has verifiable evidence that a code of conduct has been breached, not because some randoms say so on t'internet. Otherwise, it ends up spending public money chasing its tail like the long and ultimately pointless investigation into QE2 because Facebook.

18 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

That’s basically how libel works - you said something untrue if it is untrue you either withdraw the comment when requested to do so or you risk litigation. But I don’t see anyone threatening to sue anyone or asking for an apology here. All I can see is people defaulting to discrediting Hopkins as a liar because she has previously been sued for libel. That really does not make anything she might possibly say from that day forward untrue by default. The claims have been made so if people object so much it’s up to them to resort to the lawyers if they think they are baseless or otherwise seek an apology or other redress. Although as I said above I think it’s certainly something Douglas Council should properly investigate under the code of conduct as the claims of inappropriate behaviour have been made publicly in a mainstream news feature and attributed to known persons. 

I know you're hard of reading, but the "grants" she alleges were threatened to be removed don't exist, and the Legion stated to the press that DBC didn't contact them.

Yet you believe her.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Not much point in suing Hopkins for libel, or slander, as she has form for not being able to pay any award or costs. Had to enter a CVA after her last outing.

Douglas Corporation can’t be defamed, in law. The two councillors can, and could sue. Can’t see them affording it themselves, or getting crowd funding like Jack did.

If they want to crowd fund it I’d happily drop the first £250 in. We can’t have all these allegations being made and people relying on claims that it’s not worth suing anyone if something libelous had been said. 

Just now, manxman1980 said:

Which troll are you talking about?  KH or @Cueey Lewis And The News?

Nobody is trolling anyone. Just going against the agreed narrative of this site on this topic because no matter how many times some people chooses to stick their finger in their ears and go la, la, la, it doesn’t change things. Might pop in to the Russell Brand thread to see if it’s wildly different to this because he hasn’t made accusations about a pair of absolute tits who are on Douglas Corpy. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Nobody is trolling anyone. Just going against the agreed narrative of this site on this topic because no matter how many times some people chooses to stick their finger in their ears and go la, la, la, it doesn’t change things. Might pop in to the Russell Brand thread to see if it’s wildly different to this because he hasn’t made accusations about a pair of absolute tits who are on Douglas Corpy. 

360_F_500491441_dkeajowMESNBsYjUJklCLPYBAY2UPs6x.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

You really are starting to sound like Port Soderick Herald/FANDL/Cue Ball/Brit/Offshoremanxman/Broadcasterman and dozens of other washed up has beens

• Haha 5

Here’s a thing. 

I watched the Energy FM interview with Ms Hopkins and felt slightly sad.

Par example. The sticky tissue paper thing in Devon’s mums spare room. I’d be willing to bet that’s a stock response she makes about any councilor or official who has any connection with a venue where  her “show” is put on.

I think she’s caught in a trap of her own making. She no doubt did not envisage this would be her life after appearing on The Apprentice. Appearing at small town venues having to be increasingly controversial to generate interest in herself , for a few hundred quid a time.

In the latter part of the interview she declared how happy she was being able to be herself and how she was unaffected by all the hoo hah surrounding her.

Well if you looked into her eyes, through to her soul, in the interview this was clearly not the case. She seems deeply troubled.

Once she  adopted this persona she has had to act it out to carve out some sort of living for herself.

I’m not saying she is deserving of any sympathy though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Here’s a thing. 

I watched the Energy FM interview with Ms Hopkins and felt slightly sad.

Par example. The sticky tissue paper thing in Devon’s mums spare room. I’d be willing to bet that’s a stock response she makes about any councilor or official who has any connection with a venue where  her “show” is put on.

I think she’s caught in a trap of her own making. She no doubt did not envisage this would be her life after appearing on The Apprentice. Appearing at small town venues having to be increasingly controversial to generate interest in herself , for a few hundred quid a time.

In the latter part of the interview she declared how happy she was being able to be herself and how she was unaffected by all the hoo hah surrounding her.

Well if you looked into her eyes, through to her soul, in the interview this was clearly not the case. She seems deeply troubled.

Once she  adopted this persona she has had to act it out to carve out some sort of living for herself.

I’m not saying she is deserving of any sympathy though.

Spot on. It's an act. The ghosts that I called...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well she could've avoided it all by just being an OK person. Could've had a long career in shite TV programmes that pay too much.