Are the supermarkets taking us for a ride ?

Fred the shred

Unfortunately I've had to give up on Shoprite, some items which I regularly purchase there are as much as £2.00 dearer than Tesco. 

I'm prepared to believe that they don't have the buying power of the large supermarket chains, but they are now charging convenience store prices. Even the Co-op seems cheaper on some items. It's no wonder they never seem particularly busy anymore!

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Unfortunately I've had to give up on Shoprite, some items which I regularly purchase there are as much as £2.00 dearer than Tesco. 

I'm prepared to believe that they don't have the buying power of the large supermarket chains, but they are now charging convenience store prices. Even the Co-op seems cheaper on some items. It's no wonder they never seem particularly busy anymore!

Victoria Road store is always empty. I go now and again to buy a few items, to place in the freezer. 

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Object Object Object at every opportunity. 

They can object all they like but if they don’t have a case it won’t stand up or mean anything other than a bit of a delay.

Its hardly like to put anyone off.  What will put places off is the small market, high labour rates and high freight charges that make shoprite hard to compete with.

If it was easy or viable more places would already be doing it.

22 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I've noticed that some items have fallen in price in my local Shoprite branch recently but certainly not anything like the amount they've risen in the past year. And they certainly weren't Heinz items.

Isn’t that that local store that claims to be Manx to the max yet only sells Manx milk and whatever off cuts the Manx butcher has going this week? Yeah, that place is expensive.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

I quite like some of the Sainsbury’s products but some of them are 2 or 3 times the price that Sainsbury’s charge, how on earth is that justified?

If they could just pick a store and run a franchise I think it would be a lot more successful.

• Like 2

I ran into an old chum on the inward ward boat yesterday who had dropped his son at Uni..did a big shop at the Aldi on the way back. Ridiculously lower cost than on island.

Shipping costs need sorting out - for pax and freight. Not sure what is going on with Manxman. There has to be something fundamentally wrong for it not to have been on the Heysham route yesterday.

I'm wondering if they've under-.specced the thrusters or something?

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I ran into an old chum on the inward ward boat yesterday who had dropped his son at Uni..did a big shop at the Aldi on the way back. Ridiculously lower cost than on island.

Shipping costs need sorting out - for pax and freight. Not sure what is going on with Manxman. There has to be something fundamentally wrong for it not to have been on the Heysham route yesterday.

I'm wondering if they've under-.specced the thrusters or something?

As each passing day goes on, it's beginning to look as though they've been sold a pup...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/21/2023 at 10:51 AM, Fred the shred said:

Trouble is there is no elsewhere to go to an Aldi or a Lidl would calm down the present rises they certainly keep an anchor on prices over the water.     Perhaps the government could encourage one of these low cost stores to venture to our shores.

Their margins are too tight for the model to work here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Max Power said:

Yes, the Co-op is cheaper than Shoprite on some things. I really don't know why people are on such a high horse about supermarket shopping on the Island specifically. As I've said before, the prices in Tesco are very largely (with just a few minor exceptions) exactly the same as the national UK pricing, including loads of Aldi price matching items. I can vouch for this because we use them here and there regularly. Also use Sainsbury in the UK quite often, but the disparity between prices there and at Shoprite is a different story entirely. It's huge (and you don't get Nectar points of course). No way would I buy Sainsbury at Shoprite prices when I can buy Tesco at Tesco prices.

Aldi is not so much cheaper than traditional supermarkets as it used to be, incidentally.

A lot of things have gone up for sure but being in business, I can assure you, so have the costs of operating in a big way.

• Like 2