Are the supermarkets taking us for a ride ?

Fred the shred

13 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

My all time shocker ,during the cost of greed crisis,is in a Waitrose 10 miles away ,it was £4.50 for 3 slices of pre packed corned beef. Also Asda,is a ripoff,and their prices are often higher when scanned,Never lower.This has been going on for years,although  the new owners get blamed for trying to  cover the huge amount borrowed, to take over from Walmart.Iceland supermarkets now, has Marks and Spencer prices without the quality.I Always like going to Shoprite's when over,nice quality goods,spacious shops and good till experiences if a pound or two dearer than shops across.

You look like the archetypal Shoprite target customer, all things considered.

It can't be so easy being Shoprite now as it was in days gone by, but there is a certain amount of what goes around comes around considering what they did to so many small retail businesses back then. I remember being in Centre House the day the Scottish adventure ended. Long time ago now, and then shortly afterwards Tesco parked their tank on the lawn here.

This topic reminded me to restart the price check thing I did last year. Very unscientific and for information / entertainment only but here's a google sheet with the prices of various items. Meant for a video but good to share it here too to get some feedback. It's really only a rough guide to how much stuff costs in the different stores and how prices have developed over the last year (Sept 22 to latest check done today). For example, the cheapest bread in town is still Tesco. Used to be 39p, now 45p. Clearly a loss leader and full with stuff that's hard to pronounce but still cheap. #

Also, we often think of M&S as expensive but on some things they are actually cheaper than others. What concerns me is that Spar to me still seems to be the most expensive when these stores are often in areas where people with less buying power live. So if you don't have a car to do a big shop at Tesco once a week, it seems you have to pay more for the 'convenience' of a small store nearby. 

On balance, and only my opinion, it feels as if Tesco is cheapest especially if you add the clubcard prices and points (not included in this price comparison). 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fQ0aIY-jw_ycJvyH_hFEH2xQ0JsQhakkbdQV_p2T3AQ/edit?usp=sharing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

This topic reminded me to restart the price check thing I did last year. Very unscientific and for information / entertainment only but here's a google sheet with the prices of various items. Meant for a video but good to share it here too to get some feedback. It's really only a rough guide to how much stuff costs in the different stores and how prices have developed over the last year (Sept 22 to latest check done today). For example, the cheapest bread in town is still Tesco. Used to be 39p, now 45p. Clearly a loss leader and full with stuff that's hard to pronounce but still cheap. #

Also, we often think of M&S as expensive but on some things they are actually cheaper than others. What concerns me is that Spar to me still seems to be the most expensive when these stores are often in areas where people with less buying power live. So if you don't have a car to do a big shop at Tesco once a week, it seems you have to pay more for the 'convenience' of a small store nearby. 

On balance, and only my opinion, it feels as if Tesco is cheapest especially if you add the clubcard prices and points (not included in this price comparison). 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fQ0aIY-jw_ycJvyH_hFEH2xQ0JsQhakkbdQV_p2T3AQ/edit?usp=sharing 

Agree. Tesco is by far the cheapest option.

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

This topic reminded me to restart the price check thing I did last year. Very unscientific and for information / entertainment only but here's a google sheet with the prices of various items. Meant for a video but good to share it here too to get some feedback. It's really only a rough guide to how much stuff costs in the different stores and how prices have developed over the last year (Sept 22 to latest check done today). For example, the cheapest bread in town is still Tesco. Used to be 39p, now 45p. Clearly a loss leader and full with stuff that's hard to pronounce but still cheap. 

Cheapest standard size loaf is 85p

43 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Cheapest standard size loaf is 85p

No it isn't. Amadeus is correct. Tesco 800g is 80p (recently down from 90p) and the Aldi price match one is 45p (Neville's is the tertiary brand name on it, I think. It was 36p before the recent inflation took off.)

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Did you expect otherwise? Don't forget that Tecso delivers, so your car argument is weak. Very similar situation in rural Cornwall; ASDA, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose all seen regularly driving around delivering along with lots of fruit and veg, fish, game delivered to your door.

Maybe force Shoprite to set up a delivery service? Wake up a few hibernating MHKs and get them to do something useful instead of working out how to spend their undeserved inflated salaries.

Edited by GD4ELI
Punctuation

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

pay more for the 'convenience' of a small store nearby. 

Wow.  Who would have ever though t that a small store with a higher number of staff required to achieve the same turnover as a bigger store, and with less buying power and higher logistical costs would be more expensive.

Even a Tesco Express is more expensive than a Tesco do very obvious reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Did you expect otherwise? Don't forget that Tecso delivers, so your car argument is weak. Very similar situation in rural Cornwall; ASDA, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose all seen regularly driving around delivering along with lots of fruit and veg, fish, game delivered to your door.

Maybe force Shoprite to set up a delivery service? Wake up a few hibernating MHKs and get them to do something useful instead of working out how to spend their undeserved inflated salaries.

Delivery spots are hard to get over here but true it’s an option. If Shoprite at least had a loyalty scheme or something (like they used to). 

7 hours ago, woolley said:

No it isn't. Amadeus is correct. Tesco 800g is 80p (recently down from 90p) and the Aldi price match one is 45p (Neville's is the tertiary brand name on it, I think. It was 36p before the recent inflation took off.)

Saturday 30th September, the cheapest loaf was 85p

Which?  have just done a revue of the Tesco and Sainsbury 'clubcard' pricing.

They found that in quite a few cases, the 'Regular price' was increased shortly before the clubcard price was introduced!

On some occasions, the clubcard price was higher than  the previous regular price.

Still a saving it can be argued but  a bit deceptive?