Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

They accept that staff have to help some shoppers. They don't mind them. Every single person that can master it though is saving them having a member of staff doing it. So even if they had to assist every single customer they wouldn't really be any worse off. 

That just means they have less staff costs it is mot customer focused at all

54 minutes ago, finlo said:

Well I have to deal with these knob heads daily so I think my opinion counts slightly more than yours!

Nobody's opinion counts more than mine about anything.

What do you mean, man? Elucidate. Perhaps if you give us the information you are hinting at in this post, your pronouncements against Tesco might make slightly more sense than absolutely none whatsoever.

7 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

That just means they have less staff costs it is mot customer focused at all

That's not 100% true. It seems the majority of customers choose the scan and shop for convenience and many even choose the self checkout even though it's less convenient. Yes of course the supermarkets are very much driven by saving on staff costs but it seems to me there is a mutual benefit going on here

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's not 100% true. It seems the majority of customers choose the scan and shop for convenience and many even choose the self checkout even though it's less convenient. Yes of course the supermarkets are very much driven by saving on staff costs but it seems to me there is a mutual benefit going on here

Indeed there is. Very, very popular at my local ASDA.

40 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

36 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Indeed there is. Very, very popular at my local ASDA.

Try thinking slightly outside the box. It’s only popular because it may save time. Why may it save time? Because the retailer never has enough staffed checkouts open, so there are queues. Hence shoppers are pushed to scan & shop and self checkout.

It’s nothing to do with customer convenience, its retailer cost cutting.

That being said, one supermarket chain, small, I grant, is removing self checkout tills from its stores, and reverting to serviced checkout.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Try thinking slightly outside the box. It’s only popular because it may save time. Why may it save time? Because the retailer never has enough staffed checkouts open, so there are queues. Hence shoppers are pushed to scan & shop and self checkout.

That being said, one supermarket chain, small, I grant, is removing self checkout tills from its stores, and reverting to serviced checkout.

Your opinion. Saves time & money, what's not to like?

• Like 1

The problem is that we expect the lowest prices as customers. The discounters have cut prices by cutting overheads by every means including having a much lower staff to customer/turnover  ratio. This has meant that the more conventional grocers have had to invest more in technology and reduce staff levels where they can.one of the problems they are now facing is the the one mentioned earlier in jest,but theft is double the amount in stores with self service checkouts .The higher percentage of SS checkouts the higher the theft rate.

In a trade that works on very low (around 2% )operating profit a bit of a dilemma .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You are speaking for yourself, which is fine and understandable. However I prefer the scan and shop. We are all different in our preferences. It does have something to do with customer convenience, if Tesco had it and Asda didn't I would favour Tesco, that gives them more custom and saves them money.

Mutual benefit. Me/ Tesco. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, emesde said:

The problem is that we expect the lowest prices as customers. The discounters have cut prices by cutting overheads by every means including having a much lower staff to customer/turnover  ratio. This has meant that the more conventional grocers have had to invest more in technology and reduce staff levels where they can.one of the problems they are now facing is the the one mentioned earlier in jest,but theft is double the amount in stores with self service checkouts .The higher percentage of SS checkouts the higher the theft rate.

In a trade that works on very low (around 2% )operating profit a bit of a dilemma .

They had lots of theft before self checkout and scan and shop. Has anyone demonstrated an increase?

33 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You are speaking for yourself, which is fine and understandable. However, I prefer the scan and shop. We are all different in our preferences. It does have something to do with customer convenience, if Tesco had it and Asda didn't I would favour Tesco, that gives them more custom and saves them money.

I always use scan and shop because it helps me budget, it's really handy seeing a running total as you go around the shop and then if there is a bit leftover in my budget after essentials I will treat myself to something.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They had lots of theft before self checkout and scan and shop. Has anyone demonstrated an increase?

Yes .just Google it and there are many reports from research companies both here and abroad.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Your opinion. Saves time & money, what's not to like?

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

You are speaking for yourself, which is fine and understandable. However I prefer the scan and shop. We are all different in our preferences. It does have something to do with customer convenience, if Tesco had it and Asda didn't I would favour Tesco, that gives them more custom and saves them money.

Of course I’m speaking for myself, just like you are speaking for yourselves.

If retailers offered a discount for shop & scan, or self checkout, or wages pro rata, or holiday pay…

As I pointed out self checkout is being rolled back in some places.

Theres room for home delivery, whoosh, click & collect, scan & shop, self checkout and full service checkout. It’s ensuring the balance is right.

Retailers always dress things up. 

Morrisons are pushing quiet times for people who don’t like busy stores. The cynic in me says “virtue out of necessity” as Morrisons are failing and always empty. 

Asda, on the other hand could shave 2% off prices if they weren’t saddled with so much venture capital debt.

• Like 1

Booths are going checkout only. Posh or not maybe this is the reason:

"Throughout 2023, the problem of retail crime hit the headlines. The 2023 Crime Survey by the British Retail Consortium (BRC) found that retail crime had cost businesses £1.76bn during the 12-month period to April, and more than 850 incidents of violence or abuse against retail staff are reportedly happening every single day. What’s more, a separate BRC survey of members found that levels of shoplifting in 10 major cities had risen by an average of 27%."

Shoplifting has gone viral across Britain. There's even a group calling themselves 'Robin Hood' who go around robbing supermarkets and walking out with huge trolley-loads of stuff. They then take it to food banks or create pop-up free food points in public areas. School kids are getting in on the act too. Nobody wants to stop them for fear of arrest themselves. Organised crime groups are pulling off supermarket heists on an industrial scale, driving round in vans emptying shelves. Security staff aren't paid enough to tackle a gang of hooded-up thieves.