Courtenay Heading again

Cueey Lewis And The News

24 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Apparently, I don't understand IT, so it must be down to pure luck that I happened to ban the right accounts.

I think your efforts are appreciated, Albert - but seems to be on an ad-hoc and strictly temporary basis, before the next entity pops up.   Maybe Sheldon’s suggested approach has some merit?   Worth a look, anyway.   

32 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

for example, mods should be able to tell what sort of phone/laptop etc. is being used, its operating system version, the browser etc., and this is much less likely to be variable and more likely to be fairly unique. They still won't know who it is IRL, but could possibly block new sign-ups from that combination. If someone does go to the trouble to cover up those tracks, that in itself could be grounds for blocking a  new account.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Apparently, I don't understand IT, so it must be down to pure luck that I happened to ban the right accounts.

i can't believe you haven't banned yourself by mistake

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, WTF said:

i can't believe you haven't banned yourself by mistake

A while back I was a moderator of a health-related forum. We were having trouble with a particularly nasty individual who kept creating new accounts. One of the admins (based in New Jersey) and I were discussing it on Skype when he accidentally banned himself. I had to reinstate him but not before I had a good laugh at his expense. You probably had to be there but it was quite funny. We chuckled about it for years. 

3 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I think your efforts are appreciated, Albert - but seems to be on an ad-hoc and strictly temporary basis, before the next entity pops up.   Maybe Sheldon’s suggested approach has some merit?   Worth a look, anyway.   

It's easy enough to spoof these too.

• 1 month later...

Not directly related, but the documentary on the Hampstead child abuse hoax last night gives an insight into the minds of some of these lunatics.  The Internet just breeds them as they have an unregulated platform potentially available to millions. 

• Like 1