UK Immigration changes = IOM Opportunity?

Amadeus

40 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It is. An absolutely dreadful situation IOMG have allowed to happen if proven, which I'm sure it will be. 

It is shocking but it will be hushed up. When you consider the work permit proposed changes it just makes a mockery of what they’re trying to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I've just heard that the issue of all seasonal work permits are being temporarily suspended, pending an investigation into some serious wrongdoings.   

Is this Manx work permits (which Cannan is so keen to 'suspend') or the Worker (Seasonal) Migrant route, which was closed last month?  Of course any legislation is only as good as the will to enforce it in any case.  

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Is this Manx work permits (which Cannan is so keen to 'suspend') or the Worker (Seasonal) Migrant route, which was closed last month?  Of course any legislation is only as good as the will to enforce it in any case.  

I was told it's the seasonal workers permit. It could well have been closed last month as I think the investigation started last month.

4 hours ago, manxman8180 said:

Although it isn't correct in the sense suggested in this thread a few times.  Yes, the Border is the CTA (so UK or Eire etc.) where any physical / digital check takes place on a person's right to enter.  But the decision to issue a Visa for certain routes is taken in the IoM, against the requirements of the IoM Rules at the time.

So can someone 'enter' the IoM for work on a lesser salary threshold than the UK - the answer is unequivocally yes. 

Are they subject to the same requirements (i.e. Health Surcharge)? - No.

Does the IoM have to follow the new UK rules (salary, surcharge, dependents on certain visas etc.) - it's a No again.....

I didn't think anyone could work in the Isle of Man unless they were entitled to be in the United Kingdom

On 12/7/2023 at 2:20 PM, Andy Onchan said:

It is. An absolutely dreadful situation IOMG have allowed to happen if proven, which I'm sure it will be. 

Now published arrests under modern day slavery probe 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/arrests-made-in-modern-slavery-probe-655602

Many paid thousands of pounds to come here. All to aid immigration so that civil servants can delude themselves that there will be money in the future to pay their unsustainable wages and pensions. 

And this is the same lot that want to so away with work permits. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2023 at 2:12 PM, Andy Onchan said:

I've just heard that the issue of all seasonal work permits are being temporarily suspended, pending an investigation into some serious wrongdoings.   

The report is out now: It is understood that more than 200 people, from countries including Algeria, the Philippines, India and Pakistan, were issued with visa conditions of employment through one company alone but it is not known how many arrived here, how many have moved on to the UK or have gone back to their home country.

I wonder when they will be naming the people arrested. It should be fairly simple for people to work it out. 

5 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Now published arrests under modern day slavery probe 

Many paid thousands of pounds to come here. All to aid immigration so that civil servants can delude themselves that there will be money in the future to pay their unsustainable wages and pensions. 

And this is the same lot that want to so away with work permits. 

A wonderful quote from KLB : ‘The route was always intended to be reviewed and after two seasons of operation.

So this was a planned immediate cessation?

Haven't we had this scheme used for slavery in the past?  The living hope people?

5 minutes ago, cissolt said:

A wonderful quote from KLB : ‘The route was always intended to be reviewed and after two seasons of operation.

Haven't we had this scheme used for slavery in the past?  The living hope people?

Some might say KLB was being economic with the truth. Especially because it’s being rushed through 

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

It clearly wasn't.  It was announced that it would cease for new applications on 9 November in a press release issued on 10 November.  That's not how you conduct an orderly review, you say there will be a pause after some future date.  As for "two seasons" the whole point of these visas was that they were not tied to a particular time of year, just limited in time within a 12-month period.  So it's clearly nonsense.

I suspect Adrian Darbyshire has been working on this for some time if he was behind the FoI requests in July and it whole thing was clearly brought up at the Government Conference in September, so they can't say they weren't warned.