Closure of Southern Swimming Pool

Major Rushen

The NSC is only a few miles up the road.

The southern pool

is closing because it costs a fortune to run for a small number of users and a small catchment area.

This IoM obsession with needing multiple of everything that all make a loss working such a small area needs to stop, or we need to increase the population to support the extra facilities.

Four government run pools within such a small area and with such a small population is madness, expensive, and very clearly not sustainable.  

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

The NSC is only a few miles up the road.

The southern pool

is closing because it costs a fortune to run for a small number of users and a small catchment area.

This IoM obsession with needing multiple of everything that all make a loss working such a small area needs to stop, or we need to increase the population to support the extra facilities.

Four government run pools within such a small area and with such a small population is madness, expensive, and very clearly not sustainable.  

1.7 million a year in subvention for 3 regional swimming pools.  How much goes to the southern pool?

DOI have spent nearly 100 million of our money on a shed in Liverpool, i think you'll find most residents (not civil servants like yourself) would prefer money being spent on island improving people's health than wasting it on poorly managed shit shows like the landing stage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cissolt said:

1.7 million a year in subvention for 3 regional swimming pools.  How much goes to the southern pool?

DOI have spent nearly 100 million of our money on a shed in Liverpool, i think you'll find most residents (not civil servants like yourself) would prefer money being spent on island improving people's health than wasting it on poorly managed shit shows like the landing stage.

Civil servant?

Ffs.

13 minutes ago, cissolt said:

All agreed, but if the pot is empty, it's empty. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Disregarding the landing stage, which is a project that has been poorly managed and has also gone over budget over a time period where nearly every project on the planet has gone over budget.

Most sensible island residents would rather see the frivolous spending such as four swimming pools for an area and population which in the UK probably wouldn’t have one, come to an end.

We need to be realistic.  Four swimming pools would still be borderline justified if we had 100k more people here.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of some on here to close the Southern Swimming Pool, based upon financial grounds, as with everything that IOMG touches, they make a complete mess of things. This announcement or suggestion, as it has to be agreed by Tynpotwald. The DESC, IOMG and CoMIN could have tempered any negative publicity which is bound to occur, with plans for an alternative pool incorporated into the new school. Sadly the new school will never get built as IOMG will have run out of reserves before long. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Disregarding the landing stage, which is a project that has been poorly managed and has also gone over budget over a time period where nearly every project on the planet has gone over budget.

Most sensible island residents would rather see the frivolous spending such as four swimming pools for an area and population which in the UK probably wouldn’t have one, come to an end.

We need to be realistic.  Four swimming pools would still be borderline justified if we had 100k more people here.

Perhaps a reduction in unneeded civil servants would provide enough revenue to fund the 3 pools, which are a vital lifeline for less mobile people to get exercise, assist with medical conditions, and provide a general asset to the community. 

Not everyone has the ability to get on a bus(mobility scooters and the like) and find great solace in using the facilities.

I am sure the cabal of local MHKs backing it's retention will be successful.  

Reckless gov spending must stop, this in my view is vital community investment.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I think the £1.7 million is the budgeted shortfall on the NSC, not the other pools.  Though as we found out recently that is running nearly 30% over budget this year, hence the decision to 'save money' by closing the Southern Pool so they can keep taking on more staff at the NSC.