Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

The person who is penning this advert probably took about three days or even more dreaming up the content and is possibly on about 60k p.a. with all the benefits listed and most certainly a bike.    That stopped the chuckling Woolley 🤣 although he may certainly have reason to smile.

5 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

More complete and utter bullshit jobs out today:

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/Job/JobDetail?JobId=18873

Biosphere Project Officer - 43 - 50k

"You will have a unique opportunity to lead on the delivery of developing UBIOM and ensuring that the project reaches its full potential. The post holder will work with the UBIOM Board and the Stakeholder Partnership Group to develop the work of the thematic groups, building relationships with current UBIOM partner organisations and developing new partners and link and raising the profile of UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man locally and internationally."

Absolute load of shit

I really don't believe that this is happening, here we are scratching for every penny and taking someone on to make the world aware that we have Unesco Biosphere Status and manage its potential. Who in the world gives an actual shit about our biosphere status, what will it actually give us? Nobody is going to visit us and help us even recoup the cost of the manager! 

I'm all for keeping the place in good sensible condition, but chasing a useless status is going to cost us big time, especially one the 'thematic groups' get to work on any grants available!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I really don't believe that this is happening, here we are scratching for every penny and taking someone on to make the world aware that we have Unesco Biosphere Status and manage its potential. Who in the world gives an actual shit about our biosphere status, what will it actually give us? Nobody is going to visit us and help us even recoup the cost of the manager! 

I'm all for keeping the place in good sensible condition, but chasing a useless status is going to cost us big time, especially one the 'thematic groups' get to work on any grants available!

Especially when it's an utter joke anyway.

25 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There will be an international expert in biosphere thingies.  Probably from an American University in South Alabama or maybe Dakota. He/she/it will come here in the interest of international research. 

14 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

I thought Crookall sounded crass and messing around with bus fares for the sake of £45000 is not looking at the bigger picture.   The indignation that was felt after this half baked move was almost as strong as the budget NI hike and then this morning to ice the cake the clown further pokes the nest by stating they had moved quickly to avoid parents saving a few bob by pre paying at the old rate.   

He comes across like he drove his kids to school in a massive people carrier and considers a school bus a frivolous luxury. And a parent budgeting their expenditure is defrauding the state. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

He comes across like he drove his kids to school in a massive people carrier and considers a school bus a frivolous luxury. And a parent budgeting their expenditure is defrauding the state. 

He probably got the Nanny to do the school run. 

17 minutes ago, Declan said:

He comes across as someone who’s been told to go out and distract attention.   Or maybe it’s finally happening - I’ve gone “full conspiracy theory “…

• Like 1

I’d like big Stu’s opinion on that biosphere job, to me it’s a complete waste of taxpayers money just another talking bollocks job that can’t be justified in these times. I’ve never known a government that has so completely lost the plot and I’ve seen a few.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Max Power said:

It's to replace somebody who is retiring and has done a brilliant job in setting up Biosphere IOM from scratch.

1 minute ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It's to replace somebody who is retiring and has done a brilliant job in setting up Biosphere IOM from scratch.

"Setting up"?

Surely it already exists, the biology, ecology and environment involved are all natural phenomenon. Biosphere status was awarded on those grounds, was it not?

Unless we have been employing God as well?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

"Setting up"?

Surely it already exists, the biology, ecology and environment involved are all natural phenomenon. Biosphere status was awarded on those grounds, was it not?

Unless we have been employing God as well?

Applications to UNESCO don't write themselves and Biosphere status is not given lightly.

The Government considers our Biosphere status as something they can use to promote the Island as a tourist destination... Or just to make the Government look good? Will the Biosphere status result in there being more tourists? There is also an inherent contradiction in this concept. If a country has a fragile precious Biosphere then in order to protect and sustain it, that country should dissuade hordes of tourists from trampling on it.

A bit like an invitation to the super-rich to come here and register themselves as tax-cappers, of which there are 58 and who contributed about £11m last year to the Treasury, according to Dr Allinson. Apparently, scrapping tax-capping is not worth doing because it will not generate ‘much’ additional tax revenue.

So much then for Dr Allinson's grandstanding about ‘fair’ taxes – it is the same virtue-signaling trope as the Biosphere status, IMHO.

• Like 4