Central Prom

newaccount

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I think you will find the aging population is due to immigration.

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I think you will find the aging population is due to immigration.

Oh I forgot Manxies don't age

Imagine an island full of true manx and resultant gene pool, without immigration on the rock,

People would be that inbred they would post crap on a slate with a sharp stick as the interwebs would not be there yet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Oh I forgot Manxies don't age

Imagine an island full of true manx and resultant gene pool, without immigration on the rock,

People would be that inbred they would post crap on a slate with a sharp stick as the interwebs would not be there yet.

Still more advanced than Yorkshire then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Pretty much upper Swaledale then

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Kopek said:

What evidence is there that we would be 'worse' off without immigration????

What evidence? Without immigration there wouldn't be anyone there. 8000 years ago the Isle of Man wasn't even an island there was a land bridge to Cumbria who were probably the first people to wander over there. Then the ice age creates the Irish Sea and the next lot to arrive are the Irish. Then the Celts. Then the Danes. Then the Scots, who buy it from the Norwegians. Then the English who seize it by force. Then the Stanley family move over because they own the whole place after they're given it by the English king. Then the thieving locals can't stop smuggling to the point that they destabilise the English economy so the English buy it back and give it to the Monarch. Where it's been ever since. About the only ones who cast an eye over the place and couldn't be bothered to take it over were the Romans. Other than that the Manx are genetically pure as the driven snow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Expat. said:

8000 years ago the Isle of Man wasn't even an island there was a land bridge to Cumbria

I remember that, do you!!!

Fact is, out Govt have to get the infrastructure to fit the population, not the reverse? That problem will have faced us since the 40s? 60s?

We've managed, spuds and Quorn sounds OK???

Isn't Blade runner southern english??? If it's who I think that he is, that's where I would place his accent? More right wing than Farage!!!

.....and He missed the sarcasm in my post above!

Okey Dokey 

I came to the Island from the UK in 1984 aged 23.

I worked here pay my taxes here -and  contribute to the local economy , spending my money on all sorts of things as I do whilst being retired. Bought up two (Manx born) children both of whom live and work here and are both paying taxes etc.

And I would like to think I contribute to Island life more than than just in a  monetary way

Am I a sort  of net drain on the IOM ? Or should I just fuck off back to the UK after spending nearly 2/3 of my life here?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Okey Dokey 

I worked here pay my taxes here -and  contribute to the local economy , spending my money on all sorts of things as I do whilst being retired. Bought up two (Manx born) children both of whom live and work here and are both paying taxes etc.

And I would like to think I contribute to Island life more than than just in a  monetary way

Am I a sort  of net drain on the IOM ? Or should I just fuck off back to the UK after spending nearly 2/3 of my life here?

I think that does deserve some credit. I came over in 2005 aged 35, so have spent 1/3 of my life here or thereabouts. Probably won’t live long enough to make it 2/3, but you get the point, which is that (I think) we want economically active people to move here and stay here, while contributing economically and socially to island life. What we don’t really want are pensioners moving here to minimise tax take on their pension, nor youngsters to leave for a better life on the bigger island. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Okey Dokey 

Same here, although my working life has been split 60:40 working here and in the UK.  

The big influx of pensioners seemed to be in the 60s or 70s.  Not sure how they were encouraged, but there were a lot of UK pension cheques passing through the bank I worked in in the late 80s.   

5 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Okey Dokey ....

Bought up two (Manx born) children both of whom live and work here and are both paying taxes etc.

Is it legal to buy Manx children??🤔

• Haha 2