Central Prom

newaccount

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

No , it grew out of the inaugural year of sport in 1985 I think that the late Geoff Corlett organised. He also brought over students from his old College to implement  the first Special Olympics that was held here.   
As has just been mentioned above another reason why the Easter sports festival and in the end the Student festival ended was that hoteliers wouldn’t take them anymore as there was a lot of damage to rooms etc and general really bad behavior . As I’d said earlier too Student sport events popped up every wear as places realised there was a revenue stream to be accessed. It tbh far too expensive to come here. 

Hockey, Football and Student sports events pre date year of sports, by decades.

They were going strong in the ‘70’s. 

• Like 5

Genuinely think some people need to give their head a wobble. 

If there had been an imminent threat to the public then you would have been notified by the media, social media and maybe even the Everbridge system. 

All it boils down to, and it's the same on Facebook, is that some of you are ghoulish, nosey fuckers who are frightened of missing some 'skeet'. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I think you’re wrong. The student festival of sport was 80’s onwards. Prior to that it was predomentally  club teams. I actually played for one of the teams in late 60’s being very young I agree. All the football teams were mainly North West based and played in local leagues to a very good standard , can name lots of them , and the rugby teams similar but a bit more inclined to travel further. Crewe and  Alsager did come over in those days but they were very much the exception.  The Hockey comp was similar but far more diverse with mixed , woman’s and men’s teams. I don’t doubt there was a Uni team in the mix but few and far between. In the Easter Athletics festival which got big too again it was athletic clubs but also a great number of individual entries. A very few were Uni based in this too. I was at Summerland working when the Easter Althletics festival started to get big in the 80’s .The drunken end to the event on the Sunday in the Cave was quite something !! 
Reading your post again . Yes there was considerable sports comps on the Island prior to 85 , Year of Sport , but after that year Uni’s were encouraged through Geoff Corbett’s encouragement to actively take part as there respective Uni. 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

some Easters there could be up to 6000 visitors to the isle of man over   the extended weekend ,  first surge of new tourist after the winter , everybody did well out of it and by and large they were all well behaved ,  sadly  the tourism division in   enterprise  couldn't  give   a toss these days,   get their money weather we have tourists or not ,  in Fairness to Terry Toohey the last decent director of Tourism   he worked hard   to get an early start to the season  and to prolong it well past the end of October 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

If only there had been a nightclub nearby, like Toffs, with a few people milling around, someone could have intervened. There may even have been police in the area, keeping the peace.

At 9:20?

13 minutes ago, Omobono said:

some Easters there could be up to 6000 visitors to the isle of man over   the extended weekend ,  first surge of new tourist after the winter , everybody did well out of it and by and large they were all well behaved ,  sadly  the tourism division in   enterprise  couldn't  give   a toss these days,   get their money weather we have tourists or not ,  in Fairness to Terry Toohey the last decent director of Tourism   he worked hard   to get an early start to the season  and to prolong it well past the end of October 

The Irish Civil Service filled the breach for a while when Dereck Mulhern was in tourism in Victoria Street. Think the guy ,from memory,was called Desi Caverner (spelling) who would bring a boat load over for an Irish weekend. Think initially was Whit weekend . That again started in 80’s and stopped while Summerland was closed . Then came back after it reopened when Government took it over. 

9 hours ago, Exocet said:

Here an update of the situation for those baffled by the frankly weird reminiscing about 40 year old sporting festivals 

If you get out more, to likes of pubs or dinner parties, you will find that generally that is how conversations go.

You do find people who stick rigidly to what they believe is the topic in hand, but they can be a bit boring. They are mentioned in Desiderata.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Not wrong though is he/she/they

Says someone who appears in the threads as much as anyone and appears to lurk like a proverbial vampire but obviously is not a "ghoulish, nosey fucker afraid of missing out on some 'skeet' ". (Whatever that might be). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casta said:

If you get out more, to likes of pubs or dinner parties, you will find that generally that is how conversations go.

I get out frequently. But my social circle isn’t full of rambling dysfunctional pensioners so usually when we start talking about a violent attack in Douglas generally it doesn’t end up being some weird rambling conversation about 50 year old games of hockey or football. The only thing missing above are references to jumpers for goalposts. 

Here is this mornings update on the terrible event this thread seems to have been set up for people to discuss. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/police-enquiries-ongoing-into-death-of-merseyside-woman/

Edited by Exocet
Above!

11 hours ago, Exocet said:

Here an update of the situation for those baffled by the frankly weird reminiscing about 40 year old sporting festivals 

Must feel great to be you: the natural superiority, the laser-like focus - have you considered standing as an MHK?

• Like 1