Central Prom

newaccount

On 3/30/2024 at 5:54 PM, John Wright said:

Hockey, Football and Student sports events pre date year of sports, by decades.

They were going strong in the ‘70’s. 

Yes.  It was certainly the 70s whan I was involved at Easter.  But it wasn't a student festival.  As @numbnuts has said it was more club teams from the north west.  Hockey, football and rugby.**

There was the Whit festival too.

At the risk of infurating @Excocet still further with a rambling reminisce, I remember showing around a mixed hockey team from Leicester on the Monday evening of the 1982 Whit Festival.  They were mixed in the sense both of male/female and race too - most of them were of Indian descent.

It was the first evening of TT practices and we went to the foot of Bray Hill to watch.  They weren't too impressed by the smaller category bikes, but they took notice when Joey Dunlop went through rather quickly...

I then took them on a pub crawl of Douglas.  They loved it and the regulars in the pubs enjoyed it too.  Not a hint of racism from anybody and my Indian friends loved it all.

When I left them at around midnight at their guesthouse (the Silvercraigs) they were planning to go paddling on the beach.

Pity if that sort of thing doesn't happen any more.  I don't think they would have wrecked their hotel rooms...

**  I wasn't really aware of the Easter running festival at the time, but looking at some of the archived programmes going back to the 70s it's clear that the IoM was attracting at least 300 - 400 runners plus family and friends even then.  They were even attracting teams from as far away as London with teams like Hercules Wimbledon.

Whatever happened to the Manx Mountain Marathon?  Wasn't Joss Naylor a previous winner?

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I remember being on a night out with some retired colleagues. "Where's 'X'?" I enquired.

"Having a Manx-off with "Y". They'll be along in a minute." Came the reply.

Because the come overs are such fckn placid introverted people. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

All Manx are come overs originally

Wrong, I can trace my family back to tetrapods when we came on land from the sea 390 million years ago.

There's no way we came from Liverpool.

Edited by slinkydevil
  • Haha 10

All Brits were Celts originally! Then came the Germans, French, Vikings, Polish, Sud Afriks , Bulgarians, Romanians, Americanas and Carl Sagan says..................

21 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Wrong, I can trace my family back to tetrapods when we came on land from the sea 390 million years ago.

There's no way we came from Liverpool.

But they have regressed back to Liverpool!