Hospitality Call to Arms!

Max Power

5 hours ago, finlo said:

Is Vat really the elephant in the room here, is it not that Joe public is being so gouged for everything else he can't really afford to eat out or go to the pub regularly?

Who is being gouged more on the island than anywhere else?

I am paying more than I did a few months ago, but if I actually open my eyes and look around the ret of Europe and then the world, I am still doing better than most.

Have we just been spoiled on the past, and now we loan because we are paying slightly more than we did before?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Who is being gouged more on the island than anywhere else?

I am paying more than I did a few months ago, but if I actually open my eyes and look around the ret of Europe and then the world, I am still doing better than most.

Have we just been spoiled on the past, and now we loan because we are paying slightly more than we did before?

We've run out of money so we are all fair game to keep the gravy train going for as long as possible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/19/2024 at 10:03 PM, Fred the shred said:

The restaurants and pubs that do food are their own worst enemies they have raised their prices up to cover their costs but the quality of food has not improved. Lots of people are now getting takeaways because they are not getting value for money especially when they are buying wine by the glass, a medium glass of low quality wine costs more than the bottle that it is getting served from and there are five glasses in a bottle, now that is just greed and people aren’t soft.   If you are in company and buy a bottle between you then it is not excessive because obviously you can see the label but buy a glass of * House Wine * and you are getting very poor value.   People are turning their back on eating out because of prices that seem to increase every time you go out.    They have priced themselves out of business.    The best will survive and flourish the others won’t that is Business what ever you are selling and every business is in the same boat.

Even if your first statement is accurate, if they were raising their prices to cover increasing costs, why would you expect the quality of the food to improve? Surely that would require an additional increase again.

You can't compare getting a takeaway and buying a bottle of wine the same as going out to eat in a restaurant. Some restaurants do takeaway but you're still paying roughly the same prices. Wine has forever been expensive when going out. 

One solution oft mooted is to keep supermarket VAT at 20% and reduce on trade to 5%. Is it possible? I don't know. Would it be a good option? Yes, I believe it would. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gladys said:

Is the training 'Ken' offers something that is obligatory in the UK, or is  it something we dreamt up? 

You still need a similar qualification. Not a huge amount of difference between the systems, just more choice how to do it in the UK. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jackwhite said:

You still need a similar qualification. Not a huge amount of difference between the systems, just more choice how to do it in the UK. 

The problem here is the exam has to be untaken every 5 years which is obviously nonsense.....

Oh dear of course retaken is what I meant

Edited by alpha-acid
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But it’s still 700ml/70cl, whatever stupid size the glasses are

750ml/75cl. In a std wine bottle.which of course used to be perfect in the days when pubs used 125 ml as a std measure for wine.as 6 glasses per bottle.

STD spirit bottle 70cl

Edited by emesde
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Is it not every 3? 

I think it is every 3 years, retook mine last year, doesn't come cheap for my boss (something like £95 a pop). Good thing about it nowadays, is the course is done in just a day (plus the online part as well), and you don't have to keep returning to the licensing court every time.

1 hour ago, majkul said:

I think it is every 3 years, retook mine last year, doesn't come cheap for my boss (something like £95 a pop). Good thing about it nowadays, is the course is done in just a day (plus the online part as well), and you don't have to keep returning to the licensing court every time.

It's £95 for the online part. Another £150 for the RP course. Plus VAT on top.

There has been talk around this too. Nothing determined as yet, but promised to be 'looked at'.