IOM planning. Positive stories

21 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Dohle Building on South Quay & Falcon Cliff Court Apartments on Victoria Road - plastic turrets / battlements on the roof- terrible design worse build.

are the Isle of Man planning people still insisting on chimneys, so builders putting in plastic/fibre glass false chimneys (*sniggers*)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

The Villiers block could and should have been saved but money talks.

Why though? The Villiers had served its purpose and was life expired. It was a great decision to pull it down. 

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Like that part of the sea wall behind WH Smith, just an artifact. Incidentally, there was more of that sea wall at the Villiers that was listed to be saved but an Irish lad driving a digger knocked it down, by mistake of course. I doubt he had to buy any drinks that weekend.

Again though, why? What would be the benefit of a random bit of stone wall for the occasional anorak-clad old building aficionado to look at? 

It gets in the way of progress and I'm glad that digger driver knocked it down. 

Building preservation in a lot of cases does very little to enhance our current society.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Barlow said:

are the Isle of Man planning people still insisting on chimneys, so builders putting in plastic/fibre glass false chimneys (*sniggers*)

Yes, there's new builds in my locality that have them. Pathetic.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gladys said:

I also have no issue with old design features being incorporated, again not pretending to be of another era, but using what is aesthetically pleasing.  

Yes I quite agree, some old features are very nice to look at and there's no harm in incorporating them into newer builds.

It's when the planning people insist on it (like chimney stacks) it just looks wrong and out of place.

I can't remember the name of the road now, leads out of Ramsey up the hill. I worked on a new build there, which the planning people insisted had to be an almost carbon copy of the house opposite, despite it being on a plot a fraction of the size and the house opposite not being visible from the road.

The result is one of the ugliest,  most out of place houses you've ever seen. The point the planners missed is that no two other houses on the road are the same, they're all different. The best way this one could have fitted in was to do the same - be different. Instead we have a 21st century copy of a Victorian House that looks, well wrong. It's madness.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Barlow said:

Yes The brand new Summerhill View residential home has artificial chimneys.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/new-douglas-residential-care-home-and-day-centre-nears-completion-662167

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Moghrey Mie said:

Yes The brand new Summerhill View residential home has artificial chimneys.

A lot of places since the 90s have either plastic or fibre glass structures...Standard Bank domes another example.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A lot of places since the 90s have either plastic or fibre glass structures...Standard Bank domes another example.

they were sure in a rush to remove the real chimneys from public sector housing in castletown when they were moving everyone on to gas whether they liked it or not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

they were sure in a rush to remove the real chimneys from public sector housing in castletown when they were moving everyone on to gas whether they liked it or not. 

That's just it. Most public sector housing has has genuine working stacks removed while they are insisting Dandara etc al put up fake ones.

• Like 1