Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, CharlieBrown said:

At least they won't be chucking money away on stupid projects like tt365 etc.

A government run concern not chucking good money after bad...?

You must be on another planet island.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Great move ditching the commercial side of it. 

You probably missed the Winky of that but I wonder if this is a misquote? Maybe the Treasury want to increase the commercial take and reduce the subsidy???

10 hours ago, P.K. said:

"Treasury should play an active role in planning the strategic direction of the company in the medium to long-term and the recruitment of directors."

So it's to be run by bean counters.

The death knell of many a profitable concern right up to multinational corporations....

It's not profitable it's being run at a loss. Consistently. Even with a truckload of government cash backing it up. It needs a bean counter to run it. Radio is not an essential service which should run especially if it is in part commercial. I'll bet 3FM and Energy FM turn a profit.

2 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

It's not profitable it's being run at a loss. Consistently. Even with a truckload of government cash backing it up. It needs a bean counter to run it. Radio is not an essential service which should run especially if it is in part commercial. I'll bet 3FM and Energy FM turn a profit.

Of course they do - they're musical jukeboxes run by a handful of humans and a bank of computers. I may be wrong but I think Energy even has their local news bulletins read off-island. Nothing wrong with that - I often listen to Energy in the car as I like electronic dance music whilst motoring. But don't make the usual mistake of comparing 3/Energy with what Manx Radio does. Or did. It will be interesting to see what Tynwald decides after their 3-month long summer holiday, but as long as there's more money for their pension pot, who cares?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Of course they do - they're musical jukeboxes run by a handful of humans and a bank of computers. I may be wrong but I think Energy even has their local news bulletins read off-island. Nothing wrong with that - I often listen to Energy in the car as I like electronic dance music whilst motoring. But don't make the usual mistake of comparing 3/Energy with what Manx Radio does. Or did. It will be interesting to see what Tynwald decides after their 3-month long summer holiday, but as long as there's more money for their pension pot, who cares?

I agree Energy is a much better radio station than MR. 

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Of course they do - they're musical jukeboxes [ the phrase should be 'musical wallpaper', all jukeboxes are musical] run by a handful of humans and a bank of computers. I may be wrong but I think Energy even has their local news bulletins read off-island. Nothing wrong with that - I often listen to Energy in the car as I like electronic dance music whilst motoring. [hah hah! nice back- handed compliment there!  I suppose you could have said you like shit music when you are motoring] But don't make the usual mistake of comparing 3/Energy with what Manx Radio does. Or did. It will be interesting to see what Tynwald decides after their 3-month long summer holiday, [you need to mention their buckets and spades and sunglasses, that really gets 'em going] but as long as there's more money for their pension pot, who cares?

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

pre-recorded shows are nothing new in radio.....

perhaps mr need to move with the times.......

17 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I may be wrong but I think Energy even has their local news bulletins read off-island. 

Yes - Shaun Moore, Energy FM’s news editor is based in England.

A lot of their presenters are based across too: weekdays include Dave Sherwood 10am-2pm, Gareth Webb 2-6pm and Jay McCreary 6-10pm - all of these are freelance presenters based in England - voicetracking shows remotely.