Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

9 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

If only we had someone with your technical skills and an answer for every 'challenge'.

Jesus, you're a 'Nation's Radio Station". Are you seriously telling me you haven't? 

9 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I haven't listened to the race commentary 

Right. Why are you even commenting then? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They need to sort the sound levels around mandate in the mornings. 200db shopshite adverts, loud mandate presenter, whispering weathermen and whispering news headline readers.

We shouldn't have to constantly adjust the volume on our radios.

They advert sound levels are awful. I find myself reaching for the volume button at every commercial break so I can turn the volume down on their annoying and shite adverts and jingles. 

• Like 2

I only really listen to Talking Heads and the audio levels are the same on that - quieter than normal when Stu is talking but then when the adverts come on loud as hell. The worst one is when they connect down to the airport to the Scottish weatherman. With his accent and the terrible audio you can't understand a bloody word of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Subjective 'loudness' Terminal - according to the meters I'm as loud as the adverts. They are usually compressed though so will sound louder. I'll talk to the head solderer and see if there's a case for loudness meters instead of PPM's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Subjective 'loudness' Terminal - according to the meters I'm as loud as the adverts. They are usually compressed though so will sound louder. I'll talk to the head solderer and see if there's a case for loudness meters instead of PPM's.

A lot of what I'm hearing might be more due to the way I've got my car stereo set up - for music rather than voice, although I don't notice the difference in levels on other stations. Energy sounds OKish for both, Three FM sounds awful for both (do their presenters work in a toilet?). I've noticed with Manx Radio though, when they play music it sounds way better than other stations. Recently Stu played Brian Adams, The only things that looks good on me... and the (rhythm?) guitar which I've never really noticed before really stood out and sounded excellent.

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Can’t they compress you? It’s not like you have a wide dynamic range. 

• Haha 1

I listen a lot to MR that is probably why I have the odd gripe....but thank god that the BBC have not got hold of it, the BBC used to, in the day,  be relied on for giving an unbiased view on things, not any more.

Edited by hissingsid
Missed comma
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I listen a lot to MR that is probably why I have the odd gripe....but thank god that the BBC have not got hold of it, the BBC used to, in the day,  be relied on for giving an unbiased view on things, not any more.

And you reckon MR isn’t biased? Lol

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

And yet this same argument has been made since soon after the press barons first complained during the 1930s that BBC had broken the commercial monopoly on news.

Some of the stuff that BBC gives out is total shite. They must have a whole bank of generic 'news' that they use when there has been no bombs or deaths of the sort which they choose to release. But they employ well spoken newsreaders to make it sound important. And everyone falls for it.

On the  lines of:

' A recent investigation has found that a glass of red wine/beer [delete as opposite to last  release] a day is good/bad [delete as opposite to last  release] for your heart/mind [delete as opposite to last  release] '

I sussed these guys out when I was a kid when they released as news that "scientists had carried out tests that children's moods are largely dependent on the weather."

This was the first time I used the phrase "no shit Sherlock".