The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

2 minutes ago, paswt said:

Was offered tickets for this and went this afternoon .

I appreciate it may have helped to have seen all the others  but I hadn't got a clue  as to what the film was about before during or after . I think the "goodies" , the few who were left, lived to fight another day but I could be completely wrong. :lol:

No, you were right. The whole star wars thing is bollocks if you are over 12 years old.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Watched the Cruel Sea last night and enjoyed it.

Some of the "special effects" were rather glue and string, but the real footage of the ships in heavy seas and the air raids on the Russian convoys were simply incredible.

It's simple, direct story telling with the horror and toll of war presented in a very matter of fact way.  Rather British class based, but that was the reality of it.

What the Navy went through facing the U-boats in the North Atlantic is, to me, almost beyond comprehension, but the mental toll it took is acknowledged throughout the film.

Thinking about what it must have been like to not only fight nature at its rawest but to be then torpedoed and left in the water hoping against hope for rescue and then to be sent out again and again with the death toll and horror of seeing ships blown to kingdom come.  Such are the horrors of war.

"It's the bloody war" ... was a phrase used a number of times.  That very British sentiment, tied up within the reality of killing and death, makes the film, for me, one of the most powerful war films documenting the terrible consequences that war has on humanity.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Langweilig said:

Arrival.  Are the aliens helpful or hostile? Did something get lost in translation? Will there be a war? 

It was okay. But not in my view "The best sci-fi film in years".

Better than OK, I thought, but not quite up to the hype.  Didn't figure out the, ahem, order of service, until quite late on.

First Man.

Not your traditional human spaceflight movie.  From the focus on grief and death, through the scary Captain Shakycam (not a criticism) flight and launch sequences it's not a popcorn movie.

Given the amount of attention Apollo in general and Apollo 11 in particular have garnered over the years, I was mildly (yet perversely pleasantly) disappointed that it didn't focus on the technology or indeed the events, but instead is an intensely human and personal movie.  With all the baggage that comes with the man and the event. I think it was an inspired treatment.

There are some fantastic artistic choices. The repeated tight framing on faces and the almost purely in-cockpit and in-capsule flight sequences gives it a claustrophobic air.  The director and DP used different film stock effectively to capture the feel of different scenes - 16mm and 35mm for most of the movie transitioning to a breathtaking full-fat IMAX 70mm in absolute silence for the "magnificent desolation" of the lunar landscape (there was not a peep from anyone in the busy theatre for this sequence).  There is an almost frame-by-frame re-creation of several events, including the pre-flight press conference and the suited walk to the crew bus, and this gives parts of the movie a documentary feel as a breather from the human emotions.

Claire Foy absolutely knocks it out of the park.  Ryan Gosling has a tough job to do and does it very well, but I think didn't capture Armstrong's humorous side.

I'm sure it will stand up to a repeated watch.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

First Man.

Not your traditional human spaceflight movie.  From the focus on grief and death, through the scary Captain Shakycam (not a criticism) flight and launch sequences it's not a popcorn movie.

Given the amount of attention Apollo in general and Apollo 11 in particular have garnered over the years, I was mildly (yet perversely pleasantly) disappointed that it didn't focus on the technology or indeed the events, but instead is an intensely human and personal movie.  With all the baggage that comes with the man and the event. I think it was an inspired treatment.

There are some fantastic artistic choices. The repeated tight framing on faces and the almost purely in-cockpit and in-capsule flight sequences gives it a claustrophobic air.  The director and DP used different film stock effectively to capture the feel of different scenes - 16mm and 35mm for most of the movie transitioning to a breathtaking full-fat IMAX 70mm in absolute silence for the "magnificent desolation" of the lunar landscape (there was not a peep from anyone in the busy theatre for this sequence).  There is an almost frame-by-frame re-creation of several events, including the pre-flight press conference and the suited walk to the crew bus, and this gives parts of the movie a documentary feel as a breather from the human emotions.

Claire Foy absolutely knocks it out of the park.  Ryan Gosling has a tough job to do and does it very well, but I think didn't capture Armstrong's humorous side.

I'm sure it will stand up to a repeated watch.

Turns out that Michael Collins was played by Lukas Haas who you may all remember as the kid in the 1985 Amish movie Witness.

• 2 weeks later...

Bohemian Rhapsody, the Freddie Mercury/Queen biopic, at The Broadway last night. 

Very well done, sounded great, the actors playing the band, particularly Brian May, were excellent. The filming of the ‘live aid’ sequence at the end was very clever - presumably a mash up of a set, original footage, and CGI. 

Some chronological errors which if you’re a Queen nerd like me will grate a little, but definitely worth seeing. I’m sure I saw @Declan there last night - dressed up as Freddie. Chap on the door said he’s been in every night so far :D

• Haha 1