The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I posted. I don't tend to watch movies these days. 90-120 minutes just isn't enough for character and plot development when we've being spoiled by Breaking Bad, Sopranos, etc.

Good Vibrations (2012) – Set in Norn Iron, this is the story of music legend Terri Hooley; who was the godfather figure for the punk rock scene in Belfast in the 70s. He was the guy who ‘discovered’ and signed the Undertones only to then let them go very cheaply. It has some great performances from a decent cast and it’s laugh out loud in a few places. A really fun movie and one that most people haven’t heard of. Obviously some great music throughout. 8/10

About Time (2013) – It’s a Richard Curtis film. It’s labelled as a rom-com. It’s got time travel. OK don’t let any of these things put you off. It’s not really a rom-com. There’s a few funny moments; mostly from Tom Hollander’s miserable character but it’s mostly a bittersweet movie. Any movie that has Bill Nighy and Domhnall Gleeson is worth a watch but there are also good performances from Hollander and Rachel McAdams (who might be my favourite least-annoying American actress). I can’t say much about the plot without giving away too many spoilers but there’s a couple of brilliant scenes with Gleeson and Nighy. As with any Curtis film there’s a danger of it becoming a bit twee but he mostly manages to steer it straight. It’s got a great soundtrack too. Probably my favourite feel good/feel bad movie at the moment. 8/10

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/21/2007 at 10:14 PM, jagman said:

Watched The Illusionist last night. Very good film with great performances by Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti. 9/10

What was your last film and was it any good?

yesterday i watched desert flower. what a story. its not  just a story. it a story that telling us the truth of the world.  varis is  not  just  a women. she should be a inspiration for all the women's in the world.

• 1 month later...

Rise of Skywalker

An entertaining enough couple of hours.  Overburdened with fan service and (within its context) riddled with enough plot holes to drive a Star Destroyer through.

They had to do the Carrie Fisher stuff, but it was impossible to forget that it was pretty generic single lines of dialogue from her stitched into the rest of the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Vice.  On Amazon.  It's a very slick bio-pic on the life of Dick Cheney.  It's very much from a liberal point of view, but it is a really good portrayal of one of the most enigmatic Veeps.

Cheney was a man who understood how to wield power and with Bush and 911 did just that.

The continuity of his relationship with Don Rumsfeld - initially as apprentice and then master - is at the centre of the film; while Lynne Cheney is the hard as nails wife who takes a drunk and funnels her ambition into him.

A really good, if partial, primer on US politics 1970-2008 with lots of clever post-modern quirks.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

Right now, I am watching the Cult Classic 'Waking Of Ned Devine' which was filmed on the IoM:

Meh. Very, very average.

Edited by GD4ELI

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the 1967 film 'In the Heat of the Night' with Sidney Poitier and Iwo Jima veteran, Rod Steiger. Director Norman Jewison's sharp observation of vicious, endemic racism in small town America and its even smaller-minded population. Some of the scenes had the feel of Edward Hopper about them and the soundtrack by Quincy Jones sits perfectly with the mood of the film. Convincing and powerful performances from the leads and accurate attention to detail.

Definitely worth a watch on iplayer. Quality.

• Like 1

'Don't you pity me, boy !'

Classic film that Quilp, with one of Steiger's very best performances. He had many. That line is from my favourite scene in the film. I noticed that it was on again last night but I've seen it several times over the years. It was a very potent movie at the time that it came out in the 60s.