The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

Yeah, must've seen it myself half a dozen times. Steiger played a remarkable Napolean too, possibly the best portrayal by any actor before or after.

There's a line in the film where one of the racist cops (Warren Oates?), sarcastically asks Poitier what they call him back in Philadelphia. Poitier reply's, "They call me Mr. Tibbs" which became the title of the 1970 sequel.

It was actually filmed in a town called Sparta, Mississippi, and Poitier raised concerns that the local population might be troublesome so some scenes had to be shot in a different town. The scene where he slaps the racist slave owner back was controversial, Jewison had reservations about including it in finished edit but Poitier insisted. Apparently, he, Steiger and Jewison attended screenings around the area on release to assess its reception and that particular scene, where he slaps the fucker back, gave them some indication of the mood of the audiences. It is said that there was a collective gasp and a sharp intake of breath from the Rednecks when he whacked him back. Poignant.

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

Yes, Warren Oates was another great actor who never got as many great roles as he deserved, and who died too young. He was under-used in Heat of the Night. The greenhouse scene is indeed another great confrontation in the film, and Steiger's character doesn't know how to react. Beautifully played and a landmark 'moment' in 60s cinema.

There was a great documentary on Radio 4 the other day on Bridge on the River Kwai - another absolute classic with wonderful acting all round, especially from Guinness. I've just ordered the blu-ray as I fancy seeing it again.

• Like 2

The portrayal of the killer, played by Antony James, is also a fine piece of acting. He captures the nervy and scheming psychopath perfectly, the careful use of the close-up lens adding to his seething menace...

The film, 'Return from the River Kwai' didn't do it for me, but it had a hard act to follow. Guinness succinctly capturing the foibles of the typical British officer: the rigid, stiff upper-lip type always setting the example. Especially on release from the 'cooler' where his vain attempt at keeping his composure figuratively collapses in a heap. The film went some way to portraying the cruelty inflicted by the Japanese guards on the prisoners, though the reality of the time was far worse. Which brings me to another film I'd like to see again- 'King Rat.' Once again set in Jap prisoner of war camp. Directed by the brilliant Bryan Forbes. A great cast, including a young Leonard Rossiter in a straight role. Can't remember the whole cast but it is quite a line up. One to watch...

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

Yes, I haven't seen King Rat for years. It doesn't seem to make the schedules any more. Good call. Bryan Forbes made a whole series of excellent films and is an under-rated director and producer. He worked closely with Richard Attenborough if I recall. A particularly interesting little film was the unsettling Seance on a Wet Afternoon. Attenborough was typically brilliant in that one - as he was in everything else.

Haven't seen that. Will look for it. There's an interesting article on wiki about the BOTRK- Black-listed directors, arguments between Alec Guinness and the writer as to the portrayal of Colonel Nicholson; the director said the character should be a "bore" whilst AG wanted to play him with a kind of dark, begrudging humour, and much more. Good article... 

• Thanks 1

Bait (2019) - filmed on vintage 16mm black and white film. So it's grainy and looks like an old British Pathe news reel or a 60's kitchen sink drama except one of the men has a topknot and the background radio news is talking about fishing quotas post Brexit. 

Set in Cornwall, it's about the tensions between the local fishermen, and the people who've bought up the village for holiday homes. Looks beautiful, but the story is bleak. Loved it.

Edited by Declan

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Jones.

A film based on real events, the dramatic thriller "Gareth Jones" tells the tale of a British investigative journalist as he travels deep into the Soviet Union to uncover an international conspiracy. His life-or-death journey inspires George Orwell's "Animal Farm". Well worth watching

• 4 weeks later...

In 2015, my VCR ate my VHS Tape of Battle of Waterloo.

I just found that the Movie 'Battle of Waterloo' is now available on YouTube so am now enjoying it:

While watching the Movie, I decided to have a Google Earth look at the Island of Elba where Napoleon did get to enjoy being Emperor/Governor of Elba.

While looking over Elba, I did a comparison and found the IoM is almost twice the size of Elba.

3X3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...