The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Death of Stalin last night.  Really enjoyed it - the use of language where any misstep could result in you being denounced, tortured and shot was very cleverly captured - I especially liked Michael Palin's character who spoke this double think especially well and portrayed his character as totally loyal to the Stalin's monstrosity of death.

Totalitarianism is evil, and it is important to ridicule it whenever possible.  Doing that is really difficult, but I think Armando Iannucci has done a pretty good job of loosely turning a monstrous real historical moment into something entertaining. 

• 3 months later...

'The Batman'. Robert Pattinson as the caped crusader.

£15.99 on Amazon.

Wouldn't recommend it. Overlong, patchy sound quality with dialogue, visually so dark at times making it difficult to see anything, spoiling the atmosphere. Plenty of the expected biff, pow, wallop and an explosion-fest. Tame storyline. 

Not all bad but not worth £16, imo. 

54 minutes ago, quilp said:

'The Batman'. Robert Pattinson as the caped crusader.

£15.99 on Amazon.

Wouldn't recommend it. Overlong, patchy sound quality with dialogue, visually so dark at times making it difficult to see anything, spoiling the atmosphere. Plenty of the expected biff, pow, wallop and an explosion-fest. Tame storyline. 

Not all bad but not worth £16, imo. 

Mental paying £16 for it, was £6 less at the cinema!

Also better seeing it on the big screen, as gave the darkness some scale. I mean, it is a Batman film after all.

Honestly really enjoyed it.

Thought Pattinson was superb as The Batman but less convincing as Bruce Wayne, although he started to shift towards the end. Think that was intentional for the next one. The emo Batman thing was new on me, but Farrell was very good as The Penguin, and completely unrecognisable. Also liked Kravitz as Selina Kyle.

Still think it's narrowly edged by The Dark Knight due to the Ledger performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Spike Lee's Inside Man.  Really good. A great bank heist movie with Denzel Washington, Clive Owen & Jodie Foster in the main rolls.  Cleverly plotted and filmed it's got lots of quirky moments and humour. You are regularly caught by the plotting wondering what is going to happen next and it gives you lots to debate and discuss afterwards.  Well worth it.

Top Gun: Maverick.  The whole family went and really enjoyed it. It's got nostalgia, action, incredible flight scenes and everything you'd expect from a multi-million dollar Tom Cruise film. No where nearly as cringeworthy as I'd expected - well worth seeing it on the big screen.

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore. Total rubbish.  Massively incoherent and random plotting which was basically non-sensical.  Nothing builds or makes sense with places, characters and behaviour randomly jumping around for no discernible reason. Only good thing about it was afterwards spending a good hour discussing with the kids all the ways in which it was pants.

The Thief. A film-noir with Ray Milland as a nuclear scientist passing information to the Russians (who else?). Unusual as the film has no dialogue, relying instead on imagery and intense musical score. Milland's descent in paranoia and panic is well presented.

If 50's film noir appeals, watch it here for free...

Good quality sound and video. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks Quilp. I love film noir but have never watched this one. The '40s and early '50s were such a prolific period for classic noir that there are always more to watch. I tend to prefer the old movies.

From the same era, I can recommend John Huston's, Beat the Devil (1953), also on YouTube. The print quality is not brilliant but if you like great dialogue, characters, and that post-war 'Greeneland' atmosphere, then it's for you. Marvellous stuff - but don't Bogart that joint !   

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Top Gun Maverick last night.

Well done and followed on from the last one. Couple of minor gripes. I did wonder with the original love interest wasn't maintained. She feels it's due to how she looks these days. Also Meg Ryan absolutely should have been part of this movie. Don't understand why she wasn't approached.

Other than that it followed well from the original and had a lot of the same scenes done anew, to be honest. However having maintained most of the original soundtrack and the amazing action scenes, it was fantastic. 

Real 80s nostalgia feel to the whole thing, despite it having the modern setting. 

• 2 months later...

Happened upon Mel Brookes's 'The Producers' t'other night and as I watched it, it occurred to me that it's probably not a film that would be made in this day and age. Or if it did it'd come with a trigger-warning...

All that symbolism could set people off. Can't have that.

• 5 months later...
34 minutes ago, quilp said:

'All Quiet on the Western Front.'

Anticlimactic, clichéd, not to be confused with the excellent book of the same name. 

Shame, the 1930 version was excellent. First Oscar Best Film awarded for an adaptation of a novel.

• Like 1