The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

Not a film alas but Money Hiest on Netflix  (in Spanish but you can add subtitles) is by far and away the best series I have watched since The West Wing.

Superb acting, totally believable. Edge of the seat stuff, all of the time. Plot changes will dazzle you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Midnight Sky, on Netflix. Sc-fi, directed by and starring George Clooney. I liked it, slightly dark and depressing but a good film nevertheless. Clooney's character is convincing as the dying, hopeless scientist slowly failing in a bleak, sparse landscape. SFX and sets are not overdone.

I'll give it 7/10.

22 hours ago, quilp said:

The Midnight Sky, on Netflix. Sc-fi, directed by and starring George Clooney. I liked it, slightly dark and depressing but a good film nevertheless. Clooney's character is convincing as the dying, hopeless scientist slowly failing in a bleak, sparse landscape. SFX and sets are not overdone.

I'll give it 7/10.

watched it the other night. Opening scenes of mother searching and the realisation at the end were well done. Oil give it an eight...

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Videodrome (1983) from director David Cronenberg starring James Woods and Deborah Harry. Ahead of its time dealing with what was essentially proto-virtual reality. and the ending was a complete surprise the first time I saw it. Would definitely recommend though as with most of Cronenberg's material it's heavy on gore. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I didn't know where else to put this link for you all, but I found an old movie that I couldn't seem to find anywhere else. Apart from various other media, it has a bunch of old movies for free (a lot are "B movies" and various stuff of questionable merit, but I found some Criterion Collection stuff as well).

I used it to watch Seven Samurai and Les Demoiselles de Rochefort. Seven Samurai was the last film I've seen. Incredible, esp. given how long ago it was made.

https://archive.org/details/moviesandfilms

Edited by opusManx
correction

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, opusManx said:

I felt the same way after a recent viewing of the old film, The Grapes of Wrath (1940).

It's basic theme is forced migration due to climate induced poverty, only in this case, the journey and it's tribulations are all within the United States. But it improved my perspective on our current global migration crises.

But the dust bowl wasn’t a climate event, directly. The areas it happened had low rainfall, and, from time to time, drought. But on the whole they were grassed and stable.

What caused the dust bowl and the associated poverty was human intervention, deep ploughing that removed the roots and moisture that kept the topsoil from blowing away.

But, yes, Steinbeck writes a powerful narrative  about poverty, disruption, migration, and fear/adverse reaction, enabling modern parallels to be drawn..

I recently watched all of Wong Kar-Wai's films other than the one that was set in America (I forget why I skipped that one, but it was based on something I read about it). Word of warning: if you don't do subtitles (and don't speak whichever dialect of Chinese they are speaking😮), probably not for you.

I think his cinematographer (on most of his films), Christopher Doyle deserves almost as much credit.

Very painterly and stylistically unique cinematography. Recurrent themes focus on romantic/sexual relationships and that their evolution is often at the mercy of coincidence and the simple march of time. Colours, clothes and the actors themselves are a feast for the eyes.

Certainly not traditional narrative fair in the style of Hollywood (he is Hong Kong based), so not for everyone.

Wikipedia gives plenty of useful background info on the director, films and the actors (he tends to use several of the actors recurrently, esp. in a loosely linked trilogy).

A good one to start with is "Chungking Express". Much lighter in mood than his other films. This one got him noticed by Western audiences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungking_Express

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Kar-wai