Go On Then, What Are You Kistening To

Bananaman

6 minutes ago, 2bees said:

When was this? I think they’re the best live dance music band (that play instruments) ever. 

One time I couldn’t make it to a The Bays concert so my friends asked them to sign a card for me, how totally ace and thoughtful are my friends? (Same drummer as Chase & Status)

Must have been about 10 years ago downstairs at the Courthouse. 

It was when they were getting decent dance acts over regularly.  

Although I've got a feeling it may have been a private party.  Or TT maybe. 

Anyway, from what I can remember, it was amazing. 

Roger Waters, Dark Side of The Moon ( Redux)

Has anybody else listened to this?

I have, and my one big question is why?

More spoken than sung.
Great Gig in the Sky for example. It’s nonsense. Nothing like the tour de force of the original.

It does have its moments but seems more like a novelty record. 

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

He's done a series of introductions to each individual track and also an explanation about the whole album that answers your question to, why.

Here's his short introduction for you.

Yes I’ve watched that and other You Tube stuff about it. I’ve no problem with the album being reinterpreted after 50 years. The potential is there to  have made something at least equally as good or ground breaking as the original but this isn’t it.
It’s interesting,  is the kindest thing I would say about it

It would be good to see what David Gilmour could  have done with it!  Better I suspect, but I doubt we will ever know

It does beg a number of questions though. If David Bowie was still around should he, would he,come out with a Ziggy Stardust “ Redux” ?

Is this going to start a trend with classic albums? Rumours et al?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes I’ve watched that and other You Tube stuff about it. I’ve no problem with the album being reinterpreted after 50 years. The potential is there to  have made something at least equally as good or ground breaking as the original but this isn’t it.
It’s interesting,  is the kindest thing I would say about it

It would be good to see what David Gilmour could  have done with it!  Better I suspect, but I doubt we will ever know

It does beg a number of questions though. If David Bowie was still around should he, would he,come out with a Ziggy Stardust “ Redux” ?

Who knows. Does it even matter?

There are hundreds of covers of Dark Side of the Moon. Do we discount them because they are different?  Can't they run alongside the original without tarnishing it? That's how I feel about the Redux. It's just another cover.

Rogar said he did it because people still weren't breathing in the air and that this Redux was an attempt to draw people's attention to that fact. Some would say that that's bollocks and that Roger just likes Roger too much and wanted the publicity. Either way, it's drawn people in with plenty of discussion all round.

I bet David Gilmore bloody hates it. :)

Maybe that was the point or perhaps it was to draw him back in for a reconcile?

Look like it failed it it was.

Anyway - I'm off to listen to it now while I work. The original. :D

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It's hardly an original idea though is it? Taylor Swift is rerecording her entire back catalogue. Brian Wilson recorded and toured Smile. There's George Best 30,  Tubular Bells 2003, and Tea For the Tillerman 2.

I can't see Bowie ever doing something like. Although he did rerecord John, I'm Only Dancing.

I doubt Fleetwood Mac need to record Rumours again that bag of old hooey sells like hot cakes to Millennials when they first get a record player. 

There's nothing wrong with the idea - the listener just needs to accept that it will be a different perspective. But since even the Flaming Lips couldn't make the crummy songs of Dark Side of the Moon sound decent I doubt Waters could, no matter how many times he tries.

48 minutes ago, Declan said:

It's hardly an original idea though is it? Taylor Swift is rerecording her entire back catalogue. Brian Wilson recorded and toured Smile. There's George Best 30,  Tubular Bells 2003, and Tea For the Tillerman 2.

That’s true, and to that list you can add John Cale’s re recording of Music for a New Society .

On another note I often enjoy the earlier, demo or acoustic versions of tracks where the original album is issued in an extended format to accommodate these.

It’s interesting to note how a song ends up as the version issued. I have downloaded a version of “ Tangled up in blue” which includes subtle lyric changes, verses omitted from the released version and extra verses which didn’t  make the cut.

Similarly the “deluxe” edition of Elvis Costello’s “My aim is true” album includes great versions  of “ Less than zero” and “No action” 

They are the aural equivalent of historical documents.

Although as with all things these extended reissues can include a lot of dross

27 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That’s true, and to that list you can add John Cale’s re recording of Music for a New Society .

On another note I often enjoy the earlier, demo or acoustic versions of tracks where the original album is issued in an extended format to accommodate these.

It’s interesting to note how a song ends up as the version issued. I have downloaded a version of “ Tangled up in blue” which includes subtle lyric changes, verses omitted from the released version and extra verses which didn’t  make the cut.

Similarly the “deluxe” edition of Elvis Costello’s “My aim is true” album includes great versions  of “ Less than zero” and “No action” 

They are the aural equivalent of historical documents.

Although as with all things these extended reissues can include a lot of dross

ETA Apologies I meant “ Idiot Wind”, rather than Tangled up in blue” . Easy mistake to make🙂

On 10/16/2023 at 7:28 AM, Roxanne said:

Who knows. Does it even matter?

There are hundreds of covers of Dark Side of the Moon. Do we discount them because they are different?  Can't they run alongside the original without tarnishing it? That's how I feel about the Redux. It's just another cover.

Anyway - I'm off to listen to it now while I work. The original. :D

On another tack. As an older person I still haven’t come to terms with this streaming business.

For £12 a month or so I can listen to virtually anything I like.  A lot of publicity surrounded this Roger Waters version of Dark Side. So I can just search it on my favoured  platform and  listen to it.

When I was  say 13 or so, I had to save and scrimp to buy the vinyl version of “ Hunky Dory” ( £2.13 if I remember correctly).
It was either that or set up my cassette recorder to record it from a friend, who had bought it on his record player and hoped no one came into the room to disrupt the low level recording. And trusting the whole album was less than 45 minutes, being one side of a C -90 cassette

Consequently that album probably meant a lot more to me than just being able to press a button and hear that particular album and millions of others. I do feel it has devalued music somewhat.

But there’s no going back and as an old fossil I recognize that