Tv Licence Inspector On The Iom

MilitantDogOwner

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was having teaat a neighbours house and Home & Away was on Channel 5. Children were watching Half hour programme with two advert breaks and adverts at either end 17 mins of (unwatchable) TV 13 mins of adverts

30 mins of uninterrupted Home & Away would be far worse.

BBC is too big, too left-wing and ignored critics of immigration and Brussels, former head of news admits.

"There has been growing pressure on the BBC over the £145.50, with 70 per cent of viewers saying they want it cut or abolished. Tory ministers have warned it could be cut or opened up to other broadcasters if the BBC cannot repair the damage to its reputation caused by the Savile abuse scandal and huge pay-offs to senior managers".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2492363/BBC-big-left-wing-ignored-critics-immigration-Brussels-head-news-admits.html

• 1 month later...

"BBC to charge licence payers £5 to download favourite shows in challenge to Netflix and iTunes."

Surely the BBC Licence TAX payer who paid for these programs, must already own them? This charge should only apply to non UK Crown Dependencies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530519/BBC-charge-licence-payers-5-download-favourite-shows-challenge-Netflix-iTunes.html

Surely the BBC Licence TAX payer who paid for these programs, must already own them?

The BBC licence fee isn't a tax it's a charge. Similar to the Poll Tax / Community Charge. One is a %, the other a set rate.

For those like myself who don't have a tv licence but do pay for the advertising revenue that funds ITV, C4 etc....could we watch those channels via a live broadcast without having to fund the BBC?

Mrs TBT was devastated to wait a day or so to watch Downtown Abbey via download (no pun intended).

And I must confess that the compensation payments to BBC staff make the Sefton/Pinewood deals look small potatoes in comparison. I'm so glad I'm not funding those too.

TBT.

I think that when you look into to it you will find that the TV Licence Fee is classed as a tax and that is why evasion of same is classed as a criminal offence.

Certainly in my manor the local rag publishes a page or half a page now and again of people dragged up into court and fined for evasion of the Licence Fee (tax)....

If you recall when Tynwald facilitated the collection and enforcement of the TV charge on the Isle of Man by either legislation or some form of statutory instrument it was then viewed by some as a constitutional horror as for the first time the UK via its agency was effectively collecting and enforcing a tax on the Island with the agreement of Tynwald. This is not supposed to happen and was seen as the thin end of the wedge.

I recall it was on "Sunday Opinion" back then ie the precedent of enforcing a UK tax on the Isle of Man and presumably also the other Crown Dependencies. Therefore it would seem that as a form of tax the TV Licence fee is a tax extending to certain parties on the Isle of Man....

The reciprocal agreement for collection of National Insurance came into force in 1948 so while you may attach some significance to a very small audience radio program, in reality the precedent of extending "taxes" had been in place for some years

The smallness of the radio programme audience is immaterial. It was the calibre of the people who commented at the time and likewise that which was published in the print media. The National Insurance issue is very much more mutual and the collection occurs in each jurisdiction. The precedent set by Tynwald authorising the collection and enforcement of the "TV tax" was that the collection was to be imposed by one party alone and enforced by that party's agents on the Island. It was an obligation stemming from outside off-Island pressure. This is why it was at that time seen as a potential thin end of the wedge. How academic remains to be seen.

It was an obligation stemming from outside off-Island pressure. This is why it was at that time seen as a potential thin end of the wedge. How academic remains to be seen.

Thin end of the wedge? Total red herring. We pay for a service that comes from off Island just like we pay for everything else that comes from off Island. There are far more pertinent examples of taxes that stem from "outside" pressure such as fuel duty and VAT, the levels of which IOM has no control over whatsoever. We see via exchange of information and FATCA etc. that the agenda is totally driven from outside. We do as we are told or else.

There are far more pertinent examples of taxes that stem from "outside" pressure such as fuel duty and VAT, the levels of which IOM has no control over whatsoever. We see via exchange of information and FATCA etc. that the agenda is totally driven from outside. We do as we are told or else.

The agenda is totally driven from the outside. I thought Edward Snowden's Xmas address provoked a lot of debate on the current status of personal privacy. Shame that in future if someone like him had a totally legitimate bank account in the IOM it would be automatically reported under FATCA and could add fuel to him being pursued and possibly imprisoned for tax avoidance as a holding exercise in the absence of him doing anything else that is proven to be illegal. We can no longer control how the data we report will be used by the external agencies that have agreements with us to provide that data.

But VAT, fuel duty etc are basically Customs and Excise type matters...The Island has a mutual agreement on such...Someone in the UK saying you personally and individually will pay tax on your TV receiver and by the way your parliament says we can come over and collect it and prosecute you so you get a criminal record for tax evasion was at the time seen as a subtle if academic constitutional change...Evading your TV licence is apparently viewed as tax evasion...So academically if a UK entity can prosecute you on the Isle of Man for this form of tax evasion then what is next? These things were said at the time. Personally, I think in time the HMRC will be able to do much the same as regards other taxes and enforce debt judgements reciprocally through the Island's High Court....Watch and wait!

..So academically if a UK entity can prosecute you on the Isle of Man for this form of tax evasion then what is next? These things were said at the time.

Lots of water under the bridge since then, Barrie. I think we know which side our bread is buttered. What do you have in mind when you say "What is next?"

Archived