Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

18 minutes ago, WTF said:

if there is any possible way for us to throw money away we will be up for it.

Yeah maybe we get free replacement batteries but we have to dispose of the knackered ones by sending them to China at a cost of £30M

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah maybe we get free replacement batteries but we have to dispose of the knackered ones by sending them to China at a cost of £30M

Chuck 'em down Foxdale mines, isn't that what usually happens?

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

That's very interesting, because here is Alf Cannan announcing exactly six months ago saying that the Steam Packet wouldn't be subject to FoI and such impudence would undermine the position of the company.  At the time people such as Chris Thomas were pointing out that he simply could make such a decision, it was against the current law.  It looks like Cannan has finally realised or that CoMin has overruled him.

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's very interesting, because here is Alf Cannan announcing exactly six months ago saying that the Steam Packet wouldn't be subject to FoI and such impudence would undermine the position of the company.  At the time people such as Chris Thomas were pointing out that he simply could make such a decision, it was against the current law.  It looks like Cannan has finally realised or that CoMin has overruled him.

Screenshot_20240205-112934_Facebook.jpg

• Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.a1c542080e3b693b99e42227825b119e.png

Marine Traffic says

Actual time of departure:
2024-05-14 14:51 (UTC+1)

Estimated time of arrival:
2024-05-14 18:20 (UTC+1)

I wonder when they are going to fix it and when are they going to accurately update the schedules?

Edited by lfc84

I understand that this whie elephant was the choice of policiticians. Steam-Packet wanted two more modest vessels. This error will for a long time be an millstone for the Isle of Man. £78million is extortionately expensive for a millstone. Will we have to put up with unreliable sailings for the next 25 years. I am assuming a 25 year life for Manxman. I doubt if it can be flogged off for anything like its price ticket. We are stuck with it big time.

Ben-My-Chree was and is a most reliable vessel.  I can no longer book my car for a trip to the IOM with confidence.  I guess that the numpties who approved the specification for Manxman will bury their heads in the sand and be in denial. No one seems to have thought about such a large vessel being compatible with modest size harbours like Heysham and Douglas on its itinerary.

I suppose that those responsible for Manxman were swayed by its glamour and size. There's one born every minute or so they say.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Loungehake said:

I understand that this whie elephant was the choice of policiticians. Steam-Packet wanted two more modest vessels. This error will for a long time be an millstone for the Isle of Man. £78million is extortionately expensive for a millstone. Will we have to put up with unreliable sailings for the next 25 years. I am assuming a 25 year life for Manxman. I doubt if it can be flogged off for anything like its price ticket. We are stuck with it big time.

Ben-My-Chree was and is a most reliable vessel.  I can no longer book my car for a trip to the IOM with confidence.  I guess that the numpties who approved the specification for Manxman will bury their heads in the sand and be in denial. No one seems to have thought about such a large vessel being compatible with modest size harbours like Heysham and Douglas on its itinerary.

I suppose that those responsible for Manxman were swayed by its glamour and size. There's one born every minute or so they say.

Wouldn't know whether you are correct, but if you are, re the choice of Politicians, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loungehake said:

Or swayed by a groundless and unrealistic proposal for the transport requirements of 500,000 visitors a year by 2032?

• Like 2

So, which of our Tynwald members voted to buy the Steam Packet? What were the arguments for? Against?

2 hours ago, Loungehake said:

Ships are expensive, even a direct BMC comparison would probably be £60m+. The Scottish ferries are paying £180m per vessel for the Scottish constructed ones, and the Turkey constructed ones are near £50m with very limited freight capacity.