Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

48 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

In fact - where do you think it should be?

Probably several of them on the way down the staircases. Individual single message signs in large, bold type with revised wording: "Do not start your engine until instructed to do so, or else people will think you're a moron."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Probably several of them on the way down the staircases. Individual single message signs in large, bold type with revised wording: "Do not start your engine until instructed to do so, or else people will think you're a moron."

On the floor in braille? 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do you not look around for advisory and warning notices? 

No. I am a human.

The signs on the Ben are a lot more noticeable.

Like I keep saying. Proof of the pudding.......

People are not taking any notice so the information is not effective. 

25 minutes ago, woolley said:

That would do it. 👍

19 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I already conceded about the skirting board if you read the thread. My foot is still in perfect health.

It should be on the door onto the car deck. That way you would actually see it and possibly notice it and you never know, people might actually take notice of it..

As the door slides, and is often open when passengers go down to their cars, that wouldn’t work. Their is however, an identical sign, in the stairwell lobby, immediately to the right or left of the door, on each stairwell, at each car deck level. I’ll give you that on blue stairwell it’s only on the port side. But red and green only have one stairwell exit to car deck.

I see that Manxradio is stating that

However, Treasury has now confirmed inaccurate figures were included in the preliminary calculation, which are likely to have been significantly more favourable to the vessel.

which to my mind is ambiguous - does it mean the Ben was less powerful and thus the limit of 48% can be raised or more powerful and thus the power limit needs to be reduced - either way it seems both the SPCo and Government are working on incorrect figures - I realise that SPCo wish to get rid of the Ben then with no alternative to a boat unsuited both to weather and ports restrict the number of sailings per year with considerably higher fares needed to keep the flow of money into Treasury

3 minutes ago, Frances said:

I see that Manxradio is stating that

However, Treasury has now confirmed inaccurate figures were included in the preliminary calculation, which are likely to have been significantly more favourable to the vessel.

which to my mind is ambiguous - does it mean the Ben was less powerful and thus the limit of 48% can be raised or more powerful and thus the power limit needs to be reduced - either way it seems both the SPCo and Government are working on incorrect figures - I realise that SPCo wish to get rid of the Ben then with no alternative to a boat unsuited both to weather and ports restrict the number of sailings per year with considerably higher fares needed to keep the flow of money into Treasury

Simply put - It's for sale but cannot be used in Irish Sea now.   So there is no chance of someone buying it and undercutting the Packet for the TESCO shipping.

36 minutes ago, Frances said:

I realise that SPCo wish to get rid of the Ben then with no alternative to a boat unsuited both to weather and ports restrict the number of sailings per year with considerably higher fares needed to keep the flow of money into Treasury

Should be no need for higher fares. The freight is the golden goose and it all has to get here at some point, so no loss of revenue there. Losing a few sparsely patronised, bad weather sailings mainly during winter, which cost more in fuel than is gained in fares, should be a positive to the bottom line.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:47 PM, x-in-man said:

Simply put - It's for sale but cannot be used in Irish Sea now.   So there is no chance of someone buying it and undercutting the Packet for the TESCO shipping.

So long as Government retains ownership of the linkspan(s) there's very little danger from any competition. 

You could try containers and a crane. But the extra handling cost would probably wipe out any potential savings or extra profit you'd make. 

The Steam Packet could also potentially slash their freight tariffs to something like breakeven and see competition off. 

'Which' Magazine has just completed a survey of UK ferry companies, in the domestic league table, IOMSPCo are a distant last place. 

Ferries to the Isle of Man

Isle of Man Steam Packet

Until the Steam Packet started in 1830, the Isle of Man could be cut off for weeks. You’d think the world’s oldest continually operating ferry service would be a treasured public service. But the Isle of Man government-owned route is the worst rated of any domestic route. Long-suffering islanders complain about poor facilities, too many cancellations and ‘sky-rocketing prices’. Plans to improve reliability by making staff sleep on board (to ‘respond more flexibly to bad weather’) and firing those who refuse, provoked a union dispute.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/ferries/article/best-and-worst-ferries-for-2024-aZBMl6S5heSv

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

'Which' Magazine has just completed a survey of UK ferry companies, in the domestic league table, IOMSPCo are a distant last place. 

Ferries to the Isle of Man

Isle of Man Steam Packet

Until the Steam Packet started in 1830, the Isle of Man could be cut off for weeks. You’d think the world’s oldest continually operating ferry service would be a treasured public service. But the Isle of Man government-owned route is the worst rated of any domestic route. Long-suffering islanders complain about poor facilities, too many cancellations and ‘sky-rocketing prices’. Plans to improve reliability by making staff sleep on board (to ‘respond more flexibly to bad weather’) and firing those who refuse, provoked a union dispute.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/ferries/article/best-and-worst-ferries-for-2024-aZBMl6S5heSv

Just shows the Manx love of SPCo bashing and Manx Crab syndrome as national sports. I’ve travelled on lots of the routes and SPCo is pretty good value and service.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Just shows the Manx love of SPCo bashing and Manx Crab syndrome as national sports. I’ve travelled on lots of the routes and SPCo is pretty good value and service.

John, I'm a fan of the SPCo, but I was horrified at the price of a return Seacat sailing to Liverpool, which I was forced to buy. I couldn't wait a week and travel at a different time, although I did book three weeks in advance...£134! 

Same week, Hull Rotterdam, 10 hour trip with cabin, £255 return.

Both as a foot passenger and the P&O ferry is like a mini liner, entertainment, nice choice of dining options, as I know you are aware of being a regular traveller.

I understand the limitations of operating on short journeys, but the SPCo is our lifeline, we need reliable travel at a respectable price.  

Edited by Max Power