Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

16 minutes ago, Max Power said:

John, I'm a fan of the SPCo, but I was horrified at the price of a return Seacat sailing to Liverpool, which I was forced to buy. I couldn't wait a week and travel at a different time, although I did book three weeks in advance...£134! 

Same week, Hull Rotterdam, 10 hour trip with cabin, £255 return.

You need to look at Condor or BF or Wight Link or Red Funnel and Stena and Irish Ferries from Liverpool, Holyhead, Pembroke etc aren’t much better 

And Hull/Rotterdam? P&O. Pray no emergency as staff on £3.50 an hour won’t assist

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You need to look at Condor or BF or Wight Link or Red Funnel and Stena and Irish Ferries from Liverpool, Holyhead, Pembroke etc aren’t much better 

And Hull/Rotterdam? P&O. Pray no emergency as staff on £3.50 an hour won’t assist

Apologies, I edited my post as you were posting.

If you look at the table in the Which report, all those companies come out ahead of the SPCo in the customer surveys.

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

P&O do not agree with you. They insist they are paying the high wage of  £5.15 / hour (but The Guardian reckons £4.87).

Somewhat worrying. They sure as hell cold not buy a house here.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/18/po-ferries-crew-minimum-wage

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Just shows the Manx love of SPCo bashing and Manx Crab syndrome as national sports. I’ve travelled on lots of the routes and SPCo is pretty good value and service.

how many shares do you have in SPCo ?

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

I understand the limitations of operating on short journeys, but the SPCo is our lifeline, we need reliable travel at a respectable price.  

It's not just a short journey. It's an extremely lightly loaded one, passenger wise, for much of the year. That makes a difference.

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Note in the survey the IOMSPCo have no "Value For Money" rating.

Presumably this is because they couldn't find any...

If you notice in the surveys, the '-' symbol means not enough responses to provide an analysis.

In the case of the Steam Packet I don't think this survey has been based on a large enough sample of people. It says the sample was from 2000 Which? members.

And you have to also ask, what type of person becomes a Which? member in the first place.

I question the surveys total validity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you notice in the surveys, the '-' symbol means not enough responses to provide an analysis.

In the case of the Steam Packet I don't think this survey has been based on a large enough sample of people. It says the sample was from 2000 Which? members.

And you have to also ask, what type of person becomes a Which? member in the first place.

I question the surveys total validity. 

Indeed.

Ignore it, it's a crock of the proverbial.

The "Passenger Space" column shows only 3 stars and facilities 2 stars. The MXM has oodles of space and the facilities are far superior to anything IOMSPCo has had to date. 

15 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Screenshot_2024-04-28_18-45-41.png.f501c2810b1d23aa10af1b50512c4c4b.png

Economies of scale, and so on.

The £77.30 is with a car up to 4.70m

Perhaps its an Irish Sea thing as I've just paid an exorbitant fare for the short crossing from Cairnryan to Belfast and back at £456 which makes the longer SPCo pricing look attractive.

stena.png

15 hours ago, John Wright said:

Do these staff on low pay get board and lodgings on the ship for free?

30 minutes ago, Gormless Git said:

Perhaps its an Irish Sea thing as I've just paid an exorbitant fare for the short crossing from Cairnryan to Belfast and back at £456 which makes the longer SPCo pricing look attractive.

stena.png

I have just tried your dates and times you quoted and the price works out at £362, maybe you live up to your forum name.😁

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

Note in the survey the IOMSPCo have no "Value For Money" rating.

Presumably this is because they couldn't find any...

They got their pricing from a ferry booking site, no discounted fares, plus their commission. Those sites have their uses - but cheap they ain’t. 

• Like 1