£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

Costs for a 1 bed apartment now with this in a few years

£300 Toilet Tax

£500 Rates

£650 ish Management Fees

Chuff owning one.

Even as an investment you're kissing goodbye to 3 months of income just paying for it to sit there.

Nevermind income tax, mortgage interest and voids.

Splash the extra out and get a house or something in else where

Edited by Jam_Sandwich

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the final slap in the face Houghton proposes a pay rise to ministerial levels for the new chairman of the joint authority Alf. Maybe it is totally justified but this lot are impervious to how something looks when taken in context !

Kerching nice work if you can get it !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if the Hansard vote has been posted, but here it is anyway:

Source - Hansard, Tynwald 19th February 2014 page 1058: That the Sewerage Charge Order 2014 be approved [sD 2014/0040]

In the Keys – Ayes 16, Noes 8
FOR
Mr Quirk
Mr Ronan
Mr Crookall
Mr Anderson
Mr Bell
Mr Singer
Mr Quayle
Mr Teare
Mr Cregeen
Mr Houghton
Mr Robertshaw
Mr Shimmin
Mr Cretney
Mr Watterson
Mr Skelly
Mr Gawne
AGAINST
Mr Hall
Mr Karran
Mr Cannan
Mr Henderson
Mrs Beecroft
Mrs Cannell
Mr Thomas
The Speaker
In the Council Ayes 8, Noes 1
FOR
Mr Corkish
Mr Wild
Mr Crowe
Mr Downie
The Lord Bishop
Mr Butt
Mr Braidwood
Mr Coleman
AGAINST
Mr Turner

Chris Thomas MHK had tried for an amendment to have the matter looked at by committee but that was thrown out. The voting was as above (ie those for the amendment were those against the tax):

To leave out the words:‘be approved [sD 2014/0040]’ and add:‘stand referred to the Economic Policy Review Committee for examination, particularly as to its fairness; and to report.'

Edited by carbon selector

Source - Hansard, Tynwald 19th February 2014 page 1058: That the Sewerage Charge Order 2014 be approved [sD 2014/0040]

FOR
Mr Quirk
Mr Ronan
Mr Crookall
Mr Anderson
Mr Bell
Mr Singer
Mr Quayle
Mr Teare
Mr Cregeen
Mr Houghton
Mr Robertshaw
Mr Shimmin
Mr Cretney
Mr Watterson
Mr Skelly
Mr Gawne
AGAINST
Mr Hall
Mr Karran
Mr Cannan
Mr Henderson
Mrs Beecroft
Mrs Cannell
Mr Thomas
The Speaker

FOR
Mr Corkish
Mr Wild
Mr Crowe
Mr Downie
The Lord Bishop
Mr Butt
Mr Braidwood
Mr Coleman
AGAINST
Mr Turner

Chris Thomas MHK had tried for an amendment to have the matter looked at by committee but that was thrown out. The voting was as above (ie those for the amendment were those against the tax):

To leave out the words:‘be approved [sD 2014/0040]’ and add:‘stand referred to the Economic Policy Review Committee for examination, particularly as to its fairness; and to report.'

No excuses now. If the people of this rock really are fired up about this they can vote them out at next elections. But they won't.

FOR
Mr Quirk
Mr Ronan
Mr Crookall
Mr Anderson
Mr Bell
Mr Singer
Mr Quayle
Mr Teare
Mr Cregeen
Mr Houghton
Mr Robertshaw
Mr Shimmin
Mr Cretney
Mr Watterson
Mr Skelly
Mr Gawne
AGAINST
Mr Hall
Mr Karran
Mr Cannan
Mr Henderson
Mrs Beecroft
Mrs Cannell
Mr Thomas
The Speaker

FOR
Mr Corkish
Mr Wild
Mr Crowe
Mr Downie
The Lord Bishop
Mr Butt
Mr Braidwood
Mr Coleman
AGAINST
Mr Turner

No excuses now. If the people of this rock really are fired up about this they can vote them out at next elections. But they won't.

By the time we get to the next election a number of those names will probably have been elevated to LegCo and thus immune from any public vote.

The next Legislative Council election is March 2015.

Dudley BUTT. Robert Philip BRAIDWOOD, Edward Alan CROWE and Alexander Frank DOWNIE are current encumbents on those cosy seats. I don't think they'll want to get off the gravy train that easily.

Mind you, each one of them is a toilet taxer. Only the lad Turner on LegCo had the balls to listen to the people of the Isle of Man. His decency might cost him another 5 years on a guaranteed £1000 a week but at least he will be able to hold his head up high when he walks down Strand Street.

Edited by carbon selector

Just noted the Sewerage Charge explanation leaflet that accompanied my Rates demand through the letterbox today. Just in case anyone was thinking along the lines of chemical bogs etc to avoid the charge, NO.

They've included the discharge of any waste water into the system as being chargeable. As it says, this includes storm water off your roof, sinks, baths and showers, dishwashers, washing machines etc.

Looks like they've covered all the bases then......bastards....

Edited by Non-Believer

Just noted the Sewerage Charge explanation leaflet that accompanied my Rates demand through the letterbox today. Just in case anyone was thinking along the lines of chemical bogs etc to avoid the charge, NO.

They've included the discharge of any waste water into the system as being chargeable. As it says, this includes storm water off your roof, sinks, baths and showers, dishwashers, washing machines etc.

Looks like they've covered all the bases then......bastards....

I used to own a house that had its own sewage treatment bio digester type jobbie which treated the waste and it was discharged into a ditch (I was told that the output was good enough to drink) I did not try this! thumbsup.gif and its rainwater was piped to soakaways in the grounds. Would that need to pay the poo tax?