Civil service fat cats "a myth"

Amadeus

The policy and reform minister says he's trying to dispel myths about 'fat cat' civil servants.

John Shimmin was speaking during a discussion about public sector pensions.

He says just seven civil servants, excluding consultants, are paid a salary of more than £100,000, while the vast majority earn under £35,000:

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/shimmin-civil-service-fat-cats-a-myth/

Now the teacher told you, so sit down and shut up or it's six of the best for you.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the teacher told you, so sit down and shut up or it's six of the best for you.

I wonder how you feel about this really? Your unbiased post doesn't reveal the full picture.

How many years has it been since you lived here?

7 civil servants & how many consultants earn over £100k? What's the average with & without consultants?

What is the distribution of salaries? What % goes to consultants vs permanent employees vs full time equivalents.

A nice civil service histogram giving %ages in say £15k increments would be a very good way for Mr Shimmin to demonstrate what a non-top heavy, non-consultant dominated, streamlined civil service the island has.

For full disclosure I had to leave the Island a few years ago for personal & career reasons. Hope you don't mind me commenting here Rhumsaa.

He says just seven civil servants, excluding consultants, are paid a salary of more than £100,000, while the vast majority earn under £35,000:

A pointless, empty statement showing the level of intellect our Shimmin has.

As Chinahand says, graph it!

If 2,000 civil servants each earned £90k (and were awaiting a £400k Pension Lump Sum), then that statement still holds true.

What a useless waste of skin John is. I wonder where on that graph John or his brother would have appeared?

For full disclosure I had to leave the Island a few years ago for personal & career reasons. Hope you don't mind me commenting here Rhumsaa.

I am offended by this

It's a typical release that doesn't give full disclosure. I don't doubt the truth of the statement that there are only seven civil servants drawing more than £100k p.a, or that the average pension is very low, or even that the vast majority earn under £35k. All valid points, but it doesn't say how many are on between £60k and £100k and there is no way of judging the value for money we get from them. Then the vast majority earn under £35k, but how many of those are performing functions that would barely pull £20k on the outside? And of course the biggest elephant in the room, being the sheer numbers employed by the state, is not mentioned at all, as far as I know.

If 2,000 civil servants each earned £90k (and were awaiting a £400k Pension Lump Sum), then that statement still holds true.

What a useless waste of skin John is. I wonder where on that graph John or his brother would have appeared?

Bloody hell, memory is a strange thing - and I have always had a penchants for graphs.

I wonder how things have changed since 2009.

Not so many years ago the salaries, promotions, new starts, retirements etc of the civil servants were published. Even the number of overtime hours worked were occasionally the subject of questions in Tynwald.

When all the civil service went into non-transparency was when they started to realise they could take the piss, big-time.

Bloody hell, memory is a strange thing - and I have always had a penchants for graphs.

I wonder how things have changed since 2009.

Only 800 over the 50k mark (back then)?

Why are we even worried?

:)

Nice one CH.

The policy and reform minister says he's trying to dispel myths about 'fat cat' civil servants.

John Shimmin was speaking during a discussion about public sector pensions.

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/shimmin-civil-service-fat-cats-a-myth/

what a load of bollox, over 50% is a majority, what does it have to reach to be vast? 55 , 60?? too many on over 35k is the issue, not who is below it.

What has his brother got to do with this issue?.

Archived