Pubs closing

Tempus Fugit

Some people constantly say the brewery rip them off. So how much do you believe a pint of Okells bitter should cost?

South Manchester the cost in a "normal" boozer can cost as high as £3.85 for a pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord. Similar boozers in Douglas £ 2.95-£3. That is still 3 pints for a tenner

I remember being outraged when it reached 20p a pint.

Ditto - 10p a pint for bitter and 12p for lager. There was outrage when the lager went up to 15p. Said I was going to give it up when it reached £1 a pint....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you think it is funny how men can trot off the cost of a pint and recall the price many years ago? I can, but ask a man the price of a loaf or half a pound of butter and they havn't a clue.

Do lager drinkers complain their pint is always dearer then bitter?

Us drinkers are a funny old lot.

If you soak the bread in beer and stuff it into pint pots, you can fill 3 pint pots. So, bread is about 50p a pint!

Then of course, you can drain the beer out and get a good pint of wheat beer! Mix a couple of eggs with the bread, season and fry and you have a supper fit for a King, no need for the Blackbirds!

A good quality family pub restaurant with good all-weather play facilities for children would do really well here. Something like Charlie Chalk would be great.

Pub/restaurants are the way to go. The reason so few pubs manage to keep their position is because the quality of food is so inconsistent. You can have a great meal one week, but go another time and it is disappointing. The likes of the Hawthorn and Jaks are owner-managed, I guess, so will keep the quality consistent.

Don't you think it is funny how men can trot off the cost of a pint and recall the price many years ago? I can, but ask a man the price of a loaf or half a pound of butter and they havn't a clue.

Do lager drinkers complain their pint is always dearer then bitter?

Us drinkers are a funny old lot.

Bread 11d in 1968 (large white sliced) 1.75 now at full price.

Butter 10d in 1968 or about £1.25 now depending on brand.

I agree with Gladys. Cooks, and managers change so much, you can't really know what the food is like at <insert name of pub> because it will probably have changed since the last time you ate there.

At a time when pub food was toasties and pickled egg my mum set the original standard for pub food at the Waterfall in the 80s, The brewery and others did well copying her, but 30 years later, restaurants, cafes, and coffee shops have overtaken them and consistently offer great food and service.

I sometimes just go to McDonalds because I know I exactly what I'm going to get and won't have to suffer the disappointment of a pub meal. It's just not worth the risk.

H&B have made a lot of their pubs all look the same, I think they should standardise the menu across all their pubs, get the majority of the foods prepared in bulk in a local factory and deliver it out to the pubs to be served. Employ someone to go to each pub to set and test the standards regularly. Then if you know you like their lasagna and garlic bread then you can go to any of their pubs and know you will get what you like.

It might also be to do with pub managers not really being that bothered since they get paid a salary rather than have the incentive of making money like a business owner would.

We tend to go to the Horse and Plough just because they have a bit of a play area for the kids that you can see from inside the pub. We would eat out more often if there was a pub with an indoor play area.

We tend to go to the Horse and Plough just because they have a bit of a play area for the kids that you can see from inside the pub. We would eat out more often if there was a pub with an indoor play area.

Rofl.... Crack dens, with a bouncy castle. That's the future.

Archived