The wooden spoon - bottom of the pile - lame duck etc. etc.

Uhtred

I was impressed by Hanson's interview on M.R. in comparison with the others I heard his did have some reason in it. Regarding the prize the admiration will be received with the good grace it is given in, it is a good job we can all have a bit of a laugh about this because it stops us crying.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a sad indictment of the process which lies ahead, that it is almost as difficult to pick the winners from the losers with several candidates being likely contenders for both.

Will there be a "none of the above" option to reflect what appears to be the feeling of a substantial number of the electorate. I think a lot of voters would prefer to turn out and vote this way rather than simply stay at home. That way the candidates and election "professionals" and "pundits" on Manx Radio would not be able to moan about voter apathy.

It is a sad indictment of the process which lies ahead, that it is almost as difficult to pick the winners from the losers with several candidates being likely contenders for both.

Almost those exact words were used by one of my friends that I pitched this little competition to before posting it last week. And you're right - when so many candidates are much-of-a-muchness low-budget it's as easy to see quite a few of them elected as discarded (adding to the excitement (!) of this little competition but a blow to the quality of representation).

Based on hot feedback I'm receiving this morning from people who have met candidates and/or read manifestos, serious contenders for the wooden spoon are Carol Quine and Karen Angela...though, along with Inglis, I'm depressed that wooden-spoonism is affecting so many of the female candidates.

Based on hot feedback I'm receiving this morning from people who have met candidates and/or read manifestos, serious contenders for the wooden spoon are Carol Quine and Karen Angela...though, along with Inglis, I'm depressed that wooden-spoonism is affecting so many of the female candidates.

is that due to an inherent lack of quality in those candidates (regardless of gender) or due to an inherent sexism in the IOM do you think?

I was impressed by Hanson's interview on M.R. in comparison with the others I heard his did have some reason in it. Regarding the prize the admiration will be received with the good grace it is given in, it is a good job we can all have a bit of a laugh about this because it stops us crying.

Those who know him expect his manifesto will be written in green ink.

is that due to an inherent lack of quality in those candidates (regardless of gender) or due to an inherent sexism in the IOM do you think?

There's every chance that it could be both. These female candidates do seem pretty dire though.

Archived