Shimmins' comments an 'insult to residents of the Isle of Man'

gettafa

23 hours ago, WTF said:

if we made more on the VAT fiddle that we wrote off  why not just offset the loss against the profit and say we made money,  just not as much, and say the 27 million was a 'cost'

If memory serves me correctly, I don't think it was ever sold to Tynwald in that way, ie. there would be an unquantifiable cost/loss/piss down the rain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

If memory serves me correctly, I don't think it was ever sold to Tynwald in that way, ie. there would be an unquantifiable cost/loss/piss down the rain.

It wasn't, IIRC. It was going to be the new Finance Sector that would lead us to the land of milk and honey and was sustainable. It probably proved to be so, for some.

£27M is probably not a large sum in the great scheme of things for IoMG, though it certainly is for the man in the street. It's the fashion and manner of things surrounding the sum/loss that raises questions IMHO.

Plenty of people, including politicians and informed MFers on these boards had and raised concerns. All of which were refuted with a curtain of lies and the new chestnut of Commercial Confidentiality. This is not the way to govern in what purports to be a democracy.

However when you look at who was behind it and their past record - speaks volumes. And just check out what action any previous inquiries in respect, instigated. I.E. none.

Any inquiry for this matter would almost be guaranteed to be a cover up for the current House's predecessors...because that's the nature of the House. An exclusive, unaccountable club. 

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Like 1

Kate’s angry!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-asks-for-apology-from-fellow-member/

Shes wasting her time with Shimmins I’m afraid. I think you will find he will take a long time to get to become a Minister, there’s more of a chance of the Peoples Prince getting his feet under the COMIN table, and things will be bad if that happens! 

Still we have had bullshit relating to the Manx Film Fund, this is the next round of bullshit from the IOMG propaganda machine.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-a-new-silicon-valley/

Unless lessons are learned and sharpish, I can see money money money being thrown around, little employment created, little bed nights created, still perhaps we can work another VAT fiddle?

Edited by 2112

On 7/19/2018 at 2:55 PM, WTF said:

if we made more on the VAT fiddle that we wrote off  why not just offset the loss against the profit and say we made money,  just not as much, and say the 27 million was a 'cost'

We need to keep that bit quiet, We lost two thirds of our VAT refunds, we cant afford to loose anymore !

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

We need to keep that bit quiet, We lost two thirds of our VAT refunds, we cant afford to loose anymore !

On a serious note, did this have a large bearing on the position we find ourselves in now re the VAT agreement ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

....but, but, but.............it would point out who was responsible and they might even be brought to book if misdeeds were perpetrated...........

It would be the first perpetual spinning motion device for pointing out ever made.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

No 'lessons can be learned' without an inquiry (unless Mr Shimmins knows something the rest of us don't?)

No 'line can be drawn under' anything and no 'moving on' until that inquiry. 

The inquiry will conclude with  " it has been a learning curve " .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Kate’s angry!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-asks-for-apology-from-fellow-member/

Shes wasting her time with Shimmins I’m afraid. I think you will find he will take a long time to get to become a Minister, there’s more of a chance of the Peoples Prince getting his feet under the COMIN table, and things will be bad if that happens! 

Still we have had bullshit relating to the Manx Film Fund, this is the next round of bullshit from the IOMG propaganda machine.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-a-new-silicon-valley/

Unless lessons are learned and sharpish, I can see money money money being thrown around, little employment created, little bed nights created, still perhaps we can work another VAT fiddle?

The Times piece reads like an advertorial. Possibly sponsored by that well known property and housing development company. 

8 hours ago, Holte End said:

The inquiry will conclude with  " it has been a learning curve " .

Exactly.  Bell and Teare have left politics, and Steve Christian is deceased.  The big cash winner was undoubtedly Christian and the report will probably read “it was wrong for the Council of Ministers to place so much trust in one man.  In the future Council should be advised by two people” (or something equally as daft).

What exactly are they going to do - have Steve Christian exhumed? The central key figure, the one man who can tell us all the dirty dark secrets, is dead ffs. 

In other words this is going absolutely nowhere.  The only vaguely interesting part is Teare’s role in all this. 

I just cannot see any sensible outcome from this and in a years time we will be shouting and screaming “whitewash”. It will be the biggest  disappointment since Beecroft got re-elected. 

And just to finish...........can anyone tell me what exactly Kate Beecroft has done in her political career other than whine and moan and criticize? To a certain extent this is fine, providing you can do a better job.  But when her time came, she was the worst Health Minister I can remember. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If a yardstick of political success was personal achievement then Tynwald would be empty !

I agree Beecroft is a pain in the ass but I sincerely wish we had a dozen more who would ask questions there have never been more nodding dogs !

• Thanks 1

Here is a link to the debate in Tynwald: http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/listen/AgainFiles/2338a.mp3

Just listen to some of it, if not all.

I would suggest this is the first time in a long time that there hasn't been continued interruptive grunts . . .and groans . . . and throat clearings, for such a speech. Especially noteworthy that it is a woman speaking, as there is often then sneering and grotesque snorts added to the background menagerie.

ps I wonder if one of the new ladies in LegCo has cleared out her mic, 'cos I reckon it must be full of phlegm. It's not the only one though.

pps Bill Shimmins speech is like an earwig crawling around. The little I heard, it contained the obligatory but rather tedious 'draw a line under it' and 'move on'. I couldn't listen to much more. I'll wait until the Hansard to see if came our with any more gems.

Edited by gettafa

In his interview with Manx Radio Bill Shimmins suggested they would be spending "£100,000s more of public money".

I think that amount quoted is ridiculous, unless of course the matter has to be referred to a court trial. In which case he would probably be correct - and the rest.

Edited by gettafa