NSC

hissingsid

9 minutes ago, Katman said:

What I heard, the touble was not the slides but were the steps going up to them in that they didn't comply with current regulation as they had too many steps before some sort of landing, therefore they are being remade, which also means the supports need altering.

That's my understanding too - that there were no landings on the stairs at all.  How could they miss them off?  Also that the size/positioning of the top of the slide would mean any little tykes could clamber out on to the nearby ceiling structure if they so wished.  That's what I heard from the aforementioned lady down the pub anyway.

It does seem a great shame that children still don't get to enjoy the shallower pools.  The younger section of the Fournier clan had a great time there when they were toddlers.

Edited by ed fournier
  • Like 1

How hard can it be to order and install a set of flume slides for a swimming pool? Especially since there's been a set there since the early 90s as a template. It's not like anybody was going in blind.

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

How hard can it be to order and install a set of flume slides for a swimming pool? Especially since there's been a set there since the early 90s as a template. It's not like anybody was going in blind.

Even if there were a flume manufacturer next door to the project Government would still balls it up ! So the chances of straightforward dealing with someone much further afield are NIL !

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I see costs of £5.5m now being mentioned and Cregeen can't clarify if costs will go up due to all this mismanagement. For some kids slides! 

Don't forget the tiling and the moving floor that breaks often. Having used the baths since they have reopened the tiling also leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Don't forget the tiling and the moving floor that breaks often. Having used the baths since they have reopened the tiling also leaves a lot to be desired.

I was down there on Saturday. It’s time someone asked a question about how much they are losing in revenue as the facilities aren’t right on top of what the clearly poorly delivered work has cost so far. 

• Like 1

Just thinking about this logically now, as I am sat in the nsc.  

presumably the height of the slides has not changed?  In which case why can’t they just use the old stairs.  They were deemed fine previously and they know they fit so that way we can just get on with things?  

maybe I’m being too simple  

On 2/23/2020 at 9:20 PM, The Amazing Ronrico said:

I was down there on Saturday. It’s time someone asked a question about how much they are losing in revenue as the facilities aren’t right on top of what the clearly poorly delivered work has cost so far. 

Well somebody did ask the question and now we know that they lost £150k on the cafe alone last year. How on earth can you lose £150k running a swimming pool cafe? Probably due to extended closures and significantly lower footfall as a result of these these botched works.  In fact even through the cafe was closed when the pool was closed I bet they were still contracted to pay some of the cafe staff for doing absolutely fuck all. 

Am I right in thinking that the cafe was brought back under Govt operation a couple of years ago, having been a contracted out facility previously?

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

It was weirdly brought under the school meals service after some idiot kicked off about them serving chips.

Clearly, they need to start serving chips again. £150k's worth should do the trick. Save walking from Pully to McD's too....

That's the thing, take your kids swimming for a couple of hours and they're starving after. Do they want junk food? Yes. Do they want a quinoa salad? No. Someone got their knickers in a twist about the nsc being a health place, so it should sell healthy food. Saving kids from obesity and all that.