NSC

hissingsid

11 fuckn months though to change a bit of grout. Don’t forget the place was closed for months after the floods too. 

This is the epitome of IoM govplc in a nutshell. Huge costs, contractors taking the piss, no one taking responsibility, no governance, reeks of incompetence, stinks of brown envelopes,  heads won’t roll, and the real cost is us, us the user. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gizo said:

11 fuckn months though to change a bit of grout. Don’t forget the place was closed for months after the floods too. 

This is the epitome of IoM govplc in a nutshell. Huge costs, contractors taking the piss, no one taking responsibility, no governance, reeks of incompetence, stinks of brown envelopes,  heads won’t roll, and the real cost is us, us the user. 

don't forget the fire.......

• Thanks 1

The old Nobles baths , where I learned to swim, lasted for yonks it was always busy, in a central position and was really well designed, remember sitting upstairs looking down when all the schools competed.   Those Victorians knew what they were at when it came to building and design.   The Government motto must be Have money must spend....Have no money...spend twice as much.    Do not worry about healthcare, housing, foodbanks just make sure the bottom of the swimming pool goes up and down and the slides are the most expensive in the world.    

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

The old Nobles baths , where I learned to swim, lasted for yonks it was always busy, in a central position and was really well designed, remember sitting upstairs looking down when all the schools competed.   Those Victorians knew what they were at when it came to building and design.   The Government motto must be Have money must spend....Have no money...spend twice as much.    Do not worry about healthcare, housing, foodbanks just make sure the bottom of the swimming pool goes up and down and the slides are the most expensive in the world.    

But nobles didn’t have a floating floor, like the NSC and Tower Circus.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

You needed feckin healthcare after swimming in those baths

• Thanks 1

It was sea water so no chlorine and no germs, mind you we were tough in those days to be fair viruses and allergies had not been invented so you were well or ill you lived or died, life was so much more simple.   And no one got verrucas..... I did not really excell in swimming until I got to Balla when the method was to put a bicycle tyre with a bit of rope around the victim and pull you across the pool, I kid you not.   I have still got my certificate for swimming a breadth without putting my feet on the bottom of the pool.   We knew how to live, we did not need a floor that went up and down.    Happy days.....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Having elected Cregeen and Moorhouse, the voters of Arbory, Castletown and Malew just pipped their rivals in Onchan, who bravely tried with Callister and Edge, to the “Are you bloody joking...that pair!” Trophy at the last General Election.

Churchill once observed that the representative institutions democracy relied upon, no longer attracted the quality of people necessary for them to function effectively. 1931; 

"Democracy as a guide or motive to progress has long been known to be incompetent. None of the legislative assemblies of the great modern states represents in universal suffrage even a fraction of the strength or wisdom of the community...Democratic governments drift along the line of least resistance, taking short views, paying their way with sops and doles, and smoothing their path with pleasant-sounding platitudes."

Sound familiar? 

(from Churchill. Walking with Destiny by Andrew Roberts.  p 358)

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Like 3