NSC

hissingsid

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

It was sea water so no chlorine and no germs, mind you we were tough in those days to be fair viruses and allergies had not been invented so you were well or ill you lived or died, life was so much more simple.   And no one got verrucas..... I did not really excell in swimming until I got to Balla when the method was to put a bicycle tyre with a bit of rope around the victim and pull you across the pool, I kid you not.   I have still got my certificate for swimming a breadth without putting my feet on the bottom of the pool.   We knew how to live, we did not need a floor that went up and down.    Happy days.....

Sea water wasn't that clean or healthy and as for verrucas - they've been around since I was a kid (a very long time indeed)

Like you, I had immense pride in my "swimming a breadth" of the pool. First introduction was a certain BK pushing us all into the pool at Ballakermeen to see how good a swimmer we were then dragging a few of us out when our abilities turned out to be nil. Oh those heady days...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1