NSC

hissingsid

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio, Talking Heads, 25th July 2019

Go to 28:50

https://www.manxradio.com/radioplayer/od/items/4324/

Thanks again.  Ah, so mid-Aug for the competition pool and sometime later for the leisure pool.  I await mid-Aug with interest!

I have some sympathy for Gov as long as they did proper due dilligence on the supplier and had the correct specifications in the tender document.  Especially if the supplier is geographically remote and geting replacements takes some time.  Ideally they would so some sort of "no blame" analysis of what went wrong and what mitigating actions they could take in future, although I don't think this would sit well with "Who's fault is it" Stu!

Even if they sent a bloke out to the manufacturers before they started cutting to do a review of the specs it might have been money well spent.

2 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Which programme or time - I'd like to try MR listen again - unles you fancy posting a brief synopsis?

Even better you can see the interview on YouTube in all its glory, even though (not for the first time) Manx Radio haven't bothered link to it from the relevant news item.  I can't see why they go to all the bother of editing and putting it up and then don't advertise its presence.

Anyway you feel slightly sorry for Hooper on this one as normally the person doing this would be Cregeen, who appears to have gone into hiding and presumably Hooper's been left to deal with the mess.   We was accompanied by "Head of Recreation and Sport" Paul Bridson, who appeared to know absolutely nothing about the project that you would presume he was in charge of, and spent the time implying that it didn't really matter because we had lots of swimming pools anyway.  Very odd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Even when it's open the bloody place is typical of a government run affair, over run with lifeguards in comparison to similar places in the UK, all blowing whistles at the slightest hint of someone farting in the pool. If you take two kids, you need two adults?? Best of all was the place closing for lunch!

You'll be pleased to know from that interview that all the staff are still be paid and they are desperately trying to find something for them to do.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You'll be pleased to know from that interview that all the staff are still be paid and they are desperately trying to find something for them to do.

Phew, thanks for that. I can now sleep tonight

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Even better you can see the interview on YouTube in all its glory, even though (not for the first time) Manx Radio haven't bothered link to it from the relevant news item.  I can't see why they go to all the bother of editing and putting it up and then don't advertise its presence.

Thanks for the link. The radio broadcast has the benefit (?!) of  @Stu Peters own comments and remarks after the interview, which seemed to echo what many people were thinking, and prompted a caller or two.

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

Someone said the slides were coming from Turkey, seems a long way off to get slides from.

If you want to spend money you have to go further afield than the UK...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, hissingsid said:

There was some major refurbishment not a lot of years ago as I remember.

Not to the pool. Very little done since opening. Maintenance has been lacking. The adjustable pool floor has been out of true alignment for years. It is the right decision to open now without the flumes, though. Having the pool in service is way more important than a novelty add-on. 

• Like 2

So. The show goes on and the new entrance has been brought into use. The former revolving door has been replaced by a glass and metal boxed in area with automatic doors at inner and outer ends. Presumably to facilitate easier wheelchair access. OK, but I've been through there several times now, and the smell inside that box is truly violent. As though they built it over a couple of dead bodies. I appreciate that the weather has been exceptionally hot, but it is really bad. I can only think that it is the cumulative effect of sweaty persons passing through the enclosed box and the sun heating it up through the glass with little airflow as one door shuts before the other opens. Bit of a rethink needed, at least with the sequencing of those doors, because if they leave it like that it will only get worse. 

• Haha 1