TT 2020 cost £960,000.00.

Holte End

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Holte End said:

As TT didn't go ahead this year

How did DfE manage to spend nearly a million pounds on an non event.

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t200722 Early Written Answers.pdf

When was the TT actually cancelled? I can't recall as I don't follow it. Do you suppose that DfE start to prepare for TT a couple of weeks in advance? It is likely that a budget of £3.6 million involves a degree of all year round expenditure and investment in equipment, systems and personnel. It's hardly surprising that a significant proportion of the budget was committed before the TT, MGP and Classic TT were cancelled.

1 minute ago, joebean said:

When was the TT actually cancelled? I can't recall as I don't follow it. Do you suppose that DfE start to prepare for TT a couple of weeks in advance? It is likely that a budget of £3.6 million involves a degree of all year round expenditure and investment in equipment, systems and personnel. It's hardly surprising that a significant proportion of the budget was committed before the TT, MGP and Classic TT were cancelled.

What allocated budget spend there was for each of his Department’s Divisions, broken down by operational area from 1 April 2020 to 26 June 2020?

TT had already been cancelled on the 13th March, this spend was after.

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

The clowns have been out fitting all the TT corner signs recently!

Who is doing that now? I heard a story involving the former contractors, some building work and the planning department, a potential demolition, a million quid and a fight.

28 minutes ago, Holte End said:

As TT didn't go ahead this year

How did DfE manage to spend nearly a million pounds on an non event.

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t200722 Early Written Answers.pdf

An annual event which costs a lot more than that (and much of which obviously has to be effectively paid for well ahead) had to be cancelled only a few months ahead of it going ahead due to a global emergency.

You should cut them some slack. It's a surprise it didn't cost a whole lot more. It's peanuts.

Most normals will get that tbh. Unless they are just down on things for the sake of being down on things.

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Who is doing that now? I heard a story involving the former contractors, some building work and the planning department, a potential demolition, a million quid and a fight.

That sounds about right. 

As posted previously, Skelly said that the non events this year (TT/FOM) saved £5.5M out of DfE savings of £6.5M. Emergency Budget figures.

37 minutes ago, pongo said:

An annual event which costs a lot more than that (and much of which obviously has to be effectively paid for well ahead) had to be cancelled only a few months ahead of it going ahead due to a global emergency.

You should cut them some slack. It's a surprise it didn't cost a whole lot more. It's peanuts.

Most normals will get that tbh. Unless they are just down on things for the sake of being down on things.

I think you missed Holte End's point that this is only the quarterly spend for April - June inclusive (which also explains NoTailT's comment on the other agencies.  AS TT was cancelled before 1 April, all the usual spending apart from staff wouldn't be needed.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think you missed Holte End's point that this is only the quarterly spend for April - June inclusive (which also explains NoTailT's comment on the other agencies.  AS TT was cancelled before 1 April, all the usual spending apart from staff wouldn't be needed.

There may be ongoing expenses for future events, such as the new race management system, training of marshals etc? We'd have to know the detail but as Joebean has said, there will be continuous costs but I'd hope that a sizeable amount has been saved and those costs paid will not impact next years event?

7 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Unfortunately I have my concerns about this too, due to potential travel restrictions, but also finance in motorsport generally. 

And they'll struggle to get marshals unless the usual number of spectators come over.

I think I would probably suggest that for 2021 the TT & MGP (old name) are merged into a single event later in 2021.

Many sensible people I know round where I live are just not travelling anywhere and deffo wouldn't travel crushed together in a plane or over-sized sardine can boat.

Archived