TT 2020 cost £960,000.00.

Holte End

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/25/2020 at 7:51 AM, GD4ELI said:

Anyone want to bet whether TT 2021 goes ahead?

My guess is that it will go ahead. People will grow fed up of all the social distancing.

Even without a vaccine, fatality from the virus is being cut to a small fraction of what it is now. A new drug just discovered, SNG001 it's name, has been shown to reduce Covid-19's fatality rate to 1/5. Read it by yourself here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/24/major-breakthrough-in-covid-19-drug-makes-uk-professors-millionaires

As public fear from the virus recedes, government policy will be adjusted accordingly. Everything that the government has done so far is so crudely political... I mean the UK government. As concerns the IOM government; they are dunces. It is difficult to work out the motivations of a dunce because he doesn't know by himself what is doing.

16 minutes ago, spoiledbratoframsey said:

My guess is that it will go ahead. People will grow fed up of all the social distancing.

Even without a vaccine, fatality from the virus is being cut to a small fraction of what it is now. A new drug just discovered, SNG001 it's name, has been shown to reduce Covid-19's fatality rate to 1/5. Read it by yourself here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/24/major-breakthrough-in-covid-19-drug-makes-uk-professors-millionaires

As public fear from the virus recedes, government policy will be adjusted accordingly. Everything that the government has done so far is so crudely political... I mean the UK government. As concerns the IOM government; they are dunces. It is difficult to work out the motivations of a dunce because he doesn't know by himself what is doing.

I think you’re kind of half right. It’s still a nasty infection and you do not really want to be catching it at any age over say 50 as you don’t know how bad it will be. The IOM have done the obvious thing because they can and it was bound to work which it has , so far. The question is what happens when it comes back , and it will. Answers ??

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

We were a competent operator- we’d convinced the insurers of that, and the credentials of our officials were impeccable. Nobody in Government was, to my knowledge sufficiently expert or qualified beyond their levels of expertise to suggest otherwise.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there Derek, there’s one or two who think nothing of the extra workload their local red tape adds for organisers. Governing bodies such as the FIA & FIM are running events around the world week in and week out without having to jump through some of the unnecessary hoops faced here. 

9 hours ago, skins said:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there Derek, there’s one or two who think nothing of the extra workload their local red tape adds for organisers. Governing bodies such as the FIA & FIM are running events around the world week in and week out without having to jump through some of the unnecessary hoops faced here. 

I get it to an extent - TT 2007 was a wake up, and there are still incidents such as Mercer that do call into question the competence of the organizers and the oversight of the governing body. Good bloke though he is, I was somewhat taken aback how the COC stayed in post after the Mercer incident, rather than standing down whilst the inquiry was conducted and having the deputy run the remainder of the meeting? I’d have thought that a governing body would have insisted on that? 

But even with the Government oversight, it didn’t happen.

I think there’s a clear facilitation role for Govt to act as a single point of contact to handle all the multi agency requirements, but that is surely it? Anything deeper and there’s a culpability in the event of an incident. 

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I get it to an extent - TT 2007 was a wake up, and there are still incidents such as Mercer that do call into question the competence of the organizers and the oversight of the governing body. Good bloke though he is, I was somewhat taken aback how the COC stayed in post after the Mercer incident, rather than standing down whilst the inquiry was conducted and having the deputy run the remainder of the meeting? I’d have thought that a governing body would have insisted on that? 

But even with the Government oversight, it didn’t happen.

I think there’s a clear facilitation role for Govt to act as a single point of contact to handle all the multi agency requirements, but that is surely it? Anything deeper and there’s a culpability in the event of an incident. 

It is difficult to apportion blame without access to the facts Derek. There is no doubt at all that the organisers are more competent than they were in 2007 and that the risk management of the event has improved considerably. Before about 2012 there were no risk assessments for any part of the course. That was an incredible oversight and it is amazing that some of the people responsible for that oversight (for 5 years since the 26th milestone incident) are still in positions where their supposed expertise is applied to Motorsport safety here. No doubt you know who I refer to..

The problem with TT “safety” lies with the geography and length of the Course and the communication with and training of the 530 marshals who are required at any one time. The number of experienced marshals diminishes as young people are not coming into marshaling and the quality has diminished with it. The current CoC has improved communication dramatically but the basic issues of quality remain. From the little I have heard the Mercer incident was a reflection of that basic problem. 

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That's got to be a mistake? 

Edit - it has to be, in the article it says " Friday known locally as Senior Race day which features the final sidecar race and concluding Senior TT."

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they did do that. They've been talking about trying to keep people on the Island a bit longer...

Skelly will cancel the return sailings next... :lol: "You VILL stay on ze Island and grow our economy.....you can bank with our Chinese friends"....

7 hours ago, joebean said:

It is difficult to apportion blame without access to the facts Derek. There is no doubt at all that the organisers are more competent than they were in 2007 and that the risk management of the event has improved considerably. Before about 2012 there were no risk assessments for any part of the course. That was an incredible oversight and it is amazing that some of the people responsible for that oversight (for 5 years since the 26th milestone incident) are still in positions where their supposed expertise is applied to Motorsport safety here. No doubt you know who I refer to..

The problem with TT “safety” lies with the geography and length of the Course and the communication with and training of the 530 marshals who are required at any one time. The number of experienced marshals diminishes as young people are not coming into marshaling and the quality has diminished with it. The current CoC has improved communication dramatically but the basic issues of quality remain. From the little I have heard the Mercer incident was a reflection of that basic problem. 

Yes, you hit the spot there Joe, although there were multiple minor contributing factors to the whole thing in both cases, leading to catastrophic consequences.

I think marshalling needs an image change to attract younger volunteers, it can be very rewarding and interesting given the right training and conditions. It unfortunately has a fuddy duddy image but there are still a few young people coming forward, and very good they are too!

With the current new lockdowns in the UK and the "As far as we can relax the rules" being hit do we really think TT 2021 is likely to happen?

I cant see it myself, people are not traveling unless they are chavs that need to get to the sun for a week "as is their right" I really cant see the older demographic that comes to the island for TT either wanting or being allowed to. Add in the bad publicity of the no refund of this years cancelled bookings and you have a perfect storm.

I am in business and I have to be able to plan ahead, if I was in hospitality I think I would rather be told now that it was not happening and be able to plan accordingly including considering closing down if it was not viable. There are rules around trading insolvent businesses in any case that would help my decision. The gov need to be bold on this, make the call and help the industry either mothball or convert to some other business with grants freely available to help. 

Archived