TT 2020 cost £960,000.00.

Holte End

8 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

And they'll struggle to get marshals unless the usual number of spectators come over.

I think I would probably suggest that for 2021 the TT & MGP (old name) are merged into a single event later in 2021.

Many sensible people I know round where I live are just not travelling anywhere and deffo wouldn't travel crushed together in a plane or over-sized sardine can boat.

That is a very good point, before DFE waste money on next years event would it not be worthwhile getting in contact with the marshals that come to the island and see if they are

a) Still alive

b) Willing to travel on public transport given their age and the risk to them of COVID 19?

They must have contact details for them?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(accountancy OCD kicking in)

A minor point but one that doesn't make the thread look as if it is being serious; the figures are all rounded up to the nearest £1000, having the thread title shown to pence is needless other than to show some sort of exaggeration. All those zeros and extra decimal point at the end.

50 minutes ago, gettafa said:

A minor point but one that doesn't make the thread look as if it is being serious; the figures are all rounded up to the nearest £1000, having the thread title shown to pence is needless other than to show some sort of exaggeration. All those zeros.

I blame my old accounts teacher.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

And they'll struggle to get marshals unless the usual number of spectators come over.

I think I would probably suggest that for 2021 the TT & MGP (old name) are merged into a single event later in 2021.

Many sensible people I know round where I live are just not travelling anywhere and deffo wouldn't travel crushed together in a plane or over-sized sardine can boat.

I have my concerns about whether travel will be normalised by then too. We'll just have to see as things do seem to change rapidly, five months ago we'd never have believed some of the things which have happened.

It's still the MGP and CTT, the MGP Centenary is in 2023 so hoping for a good event then. I think shrinking daylight hampers combining events due to the differing practice schedules needed for the different machines, sidecars etc, and skill levels to the twenty or so top riders. It's a thought though.   

I doubt if they have contact numbers for marshalls who have volunteered after seeing appeal notices on the boat, many enthusiasts only come every couple of years because of expense and other commitments.   This is my primary objection to the way the TT is run the Marshall situation seems rather hit and miss.   A friend who has come over to Marshall for ages said last year they were not doing the training they used to and just put the newbies with an experienced one.   What good is that ?   In the case of a major accident where there were multiple casualties how would that work ?   The marshalls should be trained with a medically experienced one at each station, if they were helped by a free boat trip or subsidised accommodation this might entice some more with experience.   Pick up marshalls are not good enough it is not safe.   One combined race could be the answer.    Also the TT was cancelled far too late everone with half a brain could see it was not going to happen and it may have saved some fans money as they may have just paid a deposit not the full amount.   This may have been forgotten by Islanders but there is a very nasty taste left in some fans mouths.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2019 was the last one ever, and we just don't know it yet. There are a lot of things that will change consequent on this virus experience that we don't realise yet. Among them are events that were borderline sustainable in many regards beforehand but might not be now. A lot will hinge on whether there is a cure or a vaccine to encourage the many elderly marshals to travel again. A 2 or 3 year gap would lose a lot of the momentum.

It may roar back bigger than ever and I hope so for the fans but, as I said, I really wouldn't be surprised if it's over.

3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I doubt if they have contact numbers for marshalls who have volunteered after seeing appeal notices on the boat, many enthusiasts only come every couple of years because of expense and other commitments.   This is my primary objection to the way the TT is run the Marshall situation seems rather hit and miss.   A friend who has come over to Marshall for ages said last year they were not doing the training they used to and just put the newbies with an experienced one.   What good is that ?   In the case of a major accident where there were multiple casualties how would that work ?   The marshalls should be trained with a medically experienced one at each station, if they were helped by a free boat trip or subsidised accommodation this might entice some more with experience.   Pick up marshalls are not good enough it is not safe.   One combined race could be the answer.    Also the TT was cancelled far too late everone with half a brain could see it was not going to happen and it may have saved some fans money as they may have just paid a deposit not the full amount.   This may have been forgotten by Islanders but there is a very nasty taste left in some fans mouths.

They do have contact details for all marshals, as you say some don't come every year, or only do the TT or the MGP. Working commitments mean that quite a few of them are either retired or self employed. The main reason for the appeals is that the earlier practice sessions may be short of volunteers as not all may have arrived on the island in time. There was a session cancelled when the ferry broke down and several sailings were delayed for example.  

I'm a bit surprised that your friend reckoned that they were not doing as much training as they once did? Training has increased if anything, including an online offering which is compulsory for everyone. Some are complaining that there is too much of a training commitment now? New marshals are always placed with experienced marshals and have to be trained up and attend a set number of sessions before being considered experienced. It may appear hit and miss but it certainly isn't when you consider the number of marshalling posts which need manning with multiple marshals to achieve even minimum manning levels. 

10 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Anyone want to bet whether TT 2021 goes ahead?

Those who have spoken to me and know vastly more than I do on the topic (that’s everyone), including some involved in the organization are giving it less than 50%.

4 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Those who have spoken to me and know vastly more than I do on the topic (that’s everyone), including some involved in the organization are giving it less than 50%.

Interestingly those I know involved in the organisation from a Gov side are optimistic. They know and have ways they want to rejig the format to spread around when people are on tbe Island rather than the mad Sunday weekend being the peak every year.

Official TT launch still being planned for September and theres reluctance to reschedule until much closer to the time if needed due to the logistics and other bits regarding accommodation and travel bookings.

48 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

42 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Interestingly those I know involved in the organisation from a Gov side are optimistic. They know and have ways they want to rejig the format to spread around when people are on tbe Island rather than the mad Sunday weekend being the peak every year.

Official TT launch still being planned for September and theres reluctance to reschedule until much closer to the time if needed due to the logistics and other bits regarding accommodation and travel bookings.

I don't think anyone knows, it depends on which way the wind blows with the pandemic and the world's reaction to it. I tend to be on the optimistic side, not just about the TT but with regard to us getting back to some form of normality.

34 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I don't think anyone knows, it depends on which way the wind blows with the pandemic and the world's reaction to it. I tend to be on the optimistic side, not just about the TT but with regard to us getting back to some form of normality.

Max - I always admire your positivity and constant belief in the event - acknowledging you as a competitor, TM, medical first responder administrator and recipient of such (both by consequence & self inflicted by choice) but I think it's done now - the Irish race / feeder system / licence stamping exercise is almost null and void -- no riders = no races...

Archived