IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

44 minutes ago, Amber said:

derogatory terms that were used to describe clients…describing one patient saying “cap and tight trousers” apparently! Banter between the staff, nothing too serious 

Does "cap and tight trousers" have another meaning.  

18 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do share. 

We all get gallows humour helping to deal with stressful situations.  But, "banter" can become normalised and spill over into professional settings.  Boundaries are good. 

I have no idea what it could mean other than what it clearly states. Harmless fun amongst colleagues. We’re in danger of becoming overly sensitive about insignificant banter when we should focus on serious matters 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

GDPR also seems to be an ongoing issue, every time I’ve had the pleasure of visiting Nobles I have heard patients (or their records) being discussed, there is one particularly loud receptionist who whilst pleasant seems to project her voice like a fog horn, so you get to hear patients names, times, doctors, procedures (even learnt of woman who was in remission, their cancer coming back on the latest scan and how sad it was as they were such a lovely person etc) on the latest visit the computer showed a list of procedures and patients names, when informing the young girl of my findings she looked absolutely puzzled and looked at me like it was my fault for looking at the computer screen in the first place, well if you aren’t in front of the screen why not stick a lock screen on, I was placed in this seat and didn’t particularly want to have your screen in my line of sight!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The G.P. Is the weak link in some cases they are not marking cases urgent when there is cause for alarm and non urgent cases are just put in a queue. A friend of mine has some really suspect symptoms but Dr put non urgent after suffering and worrying for a couple of months he went back to GP who sent another request marked urgent and had an appointment within a week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The G.P. Is the weak link in some cases they are not marking cases urgent when there is cause for alarm and non urgent cases are just put in a queue. A friend of mine has some really suspect symptoms but Dr put non urgent after suffering and worrying for a couple of months he went back to GP who sent another request marked urgent and had an appointment within a week.

Never had a satisfactory medical outcome here have always ended up going private and or across.

Really do wonder sometimes what we pay our taxes for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 2112 said:

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece this morning has Mother Theresa CEO Manx Careless urging women not to wait for Breast Cancer Treatment. My concern being that Manx Careless and the DHSC are in a mess, granted trying to solve issues, that other cancer diagnosis may be ignored, in Mens Health, in the rush to meet other targets. 

And of course we have the deafening silence from the Laxey Court Jester

On 9/30/2021 at 10:03 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes it’s obvious that she is unhappy and has various issues. But let’s wait and see what the outcome is.

It is also possible that Ransom can’t  get anything right and we as taxpayers are saddled with a legal bill due to her incompetence. 

I am certainly not saying that will be the case but the IOMG also has the right to be assumed innocent until proven guilty.

As usual there are too many on here who make the automatic assumption that the Government are always wrong, stupid, incompetent or just plain evil.

All these bar room lawyers (“they are going to have a difficult time proving it is not constructive dismissal”) and those quoting hearsay as well.

For example

(“ Somebody told me she wasn’t transferred over. So was basically left in a legacy role that didn’t really exist that she hoped she’d get fed up of and then jack it in and go back to the UK. So a likely case for constructive dismissal “)

How about that for conjecture?

Read evidence she gave?  How is she incompetent?  

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

I think the patient will take up via the complaints process. Why would McMillan be involved? In my experience the McMillan set up on Island is useless. There is no local treating consultant. They weren’t seen.

The thing is, here is a patient who has had blood cancer. They know the signs and symptoms. They were privately treated off island first time round. They identified a probable relapse. Saw GP. Referred to Nobles. Nothing. Well, two months wait for haematology appointment which was then postponed to November.

Fortunately still have private cover. Got over to London, saw private consultant and now having chemo. But that means flights, hotels, none of it paid for by patient transfers. Extra stress. But better being treated than not.

Is there McMillan nurses over here or are they just here in Logo only?  Do they pay for anything over here? 

11 hours ago, Apple said:

I really don't understand why DHSC / Manx Care have not responded to the situation, or at least clarified why they have acted, or not in this case, in the way they have. 

I hope patients and families are not going to "fall between two stools" or between the "cracks in the pavements " that we have seen happen before and yet have been told lessons about such failings have been learned. 

The Manx Care mandate outlines what SHOULD be happening but there does not seem to be any scrutiny other than the Board itself at the moment ( ? if have CQC started yet). The DHSC Charter also indicates where patients SHOULD stand in the systems. 

What makes it worse at the moment is there is insufficient political over sight whist everyone seems to be jostling to adjust to their functions. (This should have all be even sorted out way beforehand).

I wish your friend well and when there is finally an explanation / outcome to the complaint it can be shared anonymously to help avoid anyone else encountering similar problems.

The structure / mass senior managers should be robust enough to manage without political head for a few months every 5 yrs