IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

You raised incompetence as a possible causative factor and I pointed out that  incompetence should be dealt with through the proper disciplinary process, not by sidelining, if that is what happened.  It would seem that the incompetence, if any, was not the cause of the claim, but how it was handled that is likely to saddle the taxpayers. 

Incompetence would/should be capability not disciplinary. And I had you down as someone who knew a bit...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ian rush said:

Incompetence would/should be capability not disciplinary. And I had you down as someone who knew a bit...

Agreed, which is why I referred to PIPs earlier.  The point I was making is that there are, or should be, processes to address failings, whether they be capability or disciplinary that should be followed.  Not sidelining to manage out a problemmatic employee. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ian rush said:

Thanks Rushie  I was starting to lose the will to live.

Now,  would you like to know about the seven Nolan principles?

Edited by The Voice of Reason

12 hours ago, Apple said:

What have McMillan said about this. Or even the treating Consultant.? Of course there is no credible complaints process at the moment as Bill Shimmins motion in Tynwald highlighted some 6 months ago. 

Note - Women are being urged to report early possible signs for cancers. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/women-urged-to-be-vigilant-for-signs-of-gynaecological-cancer/

Presumably if they do they will be treated ?

Are they really? So that’s why my missus waited nearly 4 months for an appointment despite reporting possible early signs to her GP? Seems to be a distinct lack of communication between the GP, Gynae department and radiology department, apparently as it wasn’t marked as ‘urgent’ she didn’t get priority, surely if a woman reports changes out of the ordinary it should be treated with priority, is that not enough? sure enough the follow up appointment is now ‘urgent’ can’t go into full details but there is something that needs further investigation (hopefully nothing sinister).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Apple said:

What have McMillan said about this. Or even the treating Consultant.? Of course there is no credible complaints process at the moment as Bill Shimmins motion in Tynwald highlighted some 6 months ago. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/women-urged-to-be-vigilant-for-signs-of-gynaecological-cancer/

I think the patient will take up via the complaints process. Why would McMillan be involved? In my experience the McMillan set up on Island is useless. There is no local treating consultant. They weren’t seen.

The thing is, here is a patient who has had blood cancer. They know the signs and symptoms. They were privately treated off island first time round. They identified a probable relapse. Saw GP. Referred to Nobles. Nothing. Well, two months wait for haematology appointment which was then postponed to November.

Fortunately still have private cover. Got over to London, saw private consultant and now having chemo. But that means flights, hotels, none of it paid for by patient transfers. Extra stress. But better being treated than not.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Apple said:

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece this morning has Mother Theresa CEO Manx Careless urging women not to wait for Breast Cancer Treatment. My concern being that Manx Careless and the DHSC are in a mess, granted trying to solve issues, that other cancer diagnosis may be ignored, in Mens Health, in the rush to meet other targets. 

18 hours ago, Amber said:

I heard Dr Tinwell was demanding £7.5M!!!

Thats not what I was told by her.  The settlement was a lot less I understand. But, if you know differently then so be it.

Her career / health has been severely Impacted, probably for a long time to come.

Not the first and probably won't be the last I fear. 

Edited by Apple
Damned autocorrect- over ridden.
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

The thing is, here is a patient who has had blood cancer. They know the signs and symptoms. They were privately treated off island first time round. They identified a probable relapse. Saw GP. Referred to Nobles. Nothing. Well, two months wait for haematology appointment which was then postponed to November.

Fortunately still have private cover. Got over to London, saw private consultant and now having chemo. But that means flights, hotels, none of it paid for by patient transfers. Extra stress. But better being treated than not.

I really don't understand why DHSC / Manx Care have not responded to the situation, or at least clarified why they have acted, or not in this case, in the way they have. 

I hope patients and families are not going to "fall between two stools" or between the "cracks in the pavements " that we have seen happen before and yet have been told lessons about such failings have been learned. 

The Manx Care mandate outlines what SHOULD be happening but there does not seem to be any scrutiny other than the Board itself at the moment ( ? if have CQC started yet). The DHSC Charter also indicates where patients SHOULD stand in the systems. 

What makes it worse at the moment is there is insufficient political over sight whist everyone seems to be jostling to adjust to their functions. (This should have all be even sorted out way beforehand).

I wish your friend well and when there is finally an explanation / outcome to the complaint it can be shared anonymously to help avoid anyone else encountering similar problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Apple said:

Thats not what I was told by her.  The settlement was a lot less I understand. But, if you know differently then so be it.

Her career / health has been severely Impacted, probably for a long time to come.

Not the first and probably won't be the last I fear. 

Severe PTSD was a bit extreme but yes she suffered from colleagues despicable behaviour. Hope she got a decent settlement £100k at least? 

• Like 1

From what I heard directly there should have been people sacked for gross misconduct in my book. It seems you can get away with anything in DHSC / Manx Care nowadays.

The miserable attempt to cover the staff disciplinary aspect from Ashford was I fear as sign of what seems to be acceptable and the almost desperate attempts to keep staff irrespective of some circumstances.

What he did not reference was the derogatory terms that were used to describe clients. If that had become public then I think there would have been some very unhappy parents.

Lumpy carpet time. Disgraceful episode. Professionals apparently. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Apple said:

From what I heard directly there should have been people sacked for gross misconduct in my book. It seems you can get away with anything in DHSC / Manx Care nowadays.

The miserable attempt to cover the staff disciplinary aspect from Ashford was I fear as sign of what seems to be acceptable and the almost desperate attempts to keep staff irrespective of some circumstances.

What he did not reference was the derogatory terms that were used to describe clients. If that had become public then I think there would have been some very unhappy parents.

Where is the problem, with clinical staff or admin/management?

5 hours ago, Apple said:

derogatory terms that were used to describe clients…describing one patient saying “cap and tight trousers” apparently! Banter between the staff, nothing too serious