Laxey Beach Cafe

b4mbi

Garff commissioners want the laxey cafe to remove all the benches in the public shelter (and outside it?) that the business provides at their expense.

After two years of covid, on the face of it this is the most ridiculous decision/proposal I've heard. What could possibly be their reasoning ? It seems massively small minded and petty.

The cafe provides blankets, cushions and makes the tables very presentable with fresh flowers and flower boxes, and does the best cream scones on the Island! 

The cafe launched a petition against this, which I was more than happy to sign. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Garff commissioners want the laxey cafe to remove all the benches in the public shelter (and outside it?) that the business provides at their expense.

After two years of covid, on the face of it this is the most ridiculous decision/proposal I've heard. What could possibly be their reasoning ? It seems massively small minded and petty.

The cafe provides blankets, cushions and makes the tables very presentable with fresh flowers and flower boxes, and does the best cream scones on the Island! 

The cafe launched a petition against this, which I was more than happy to sign. 

there's no power without control.

Oh I've seen Garff commissioners in action , a bunch of small minded jobsworths, not worth a toss any of them. They contribute nothing to the area, merely exist to make peoples lives a misery.

Btw go in the office and confront them, they are jellyfish and hide behind letters and notices.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1

They are not banning or removing anything.   They simply want to require people to ‘have a permit’ to allow them to do what they already do for free, for a fee.  

‘best value for local residents’. ‘Only fair to pass on the costs’.  Blah blah blah.   

Petty office dwellers with their own importance firmly at the top of the agenda.    It’ll be pay and display - or probably pay by an app along the sea wall next.   

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

There are two cafes on laxey prom. Are you talking about The Shed? 

ETA - I see the one now you’re talking about. This is weird because the woman who runs it is a commissioner. 

Yeah, I spoke to her yesterday in the cafe, and she had to be excused due to obvious conflict of interest. She said the others privately said to her they thought it wasn't necessary, yet unanimously voted for the motion that the cafe should remove the benches. Wtf?

She said she put in an FOI request to see the minutes from those meetings as they're not public.

As a lonan resident, I think my first trip to the commissioners could be coming....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That one has been an on and off mission for years. They do like ‘a sign’ do the commissioners. I can see an ‘No Overnight Parking’ appearing soon. It’s a shame because the motor homes/vans never outstay their welcome and there are lots of lovely exchanges about travelling and vans and stuff come about just because they are parked there. The most they stay is two nights but mostly it’s just one. They do no harm and it’s all part of the ‘prom experience’. 

There’s a guy started singing outside the Beach Cafe recently. It really adds to the vibe of the day. No doubt he’ll be getting ‘hoofed’ too soon. 

Can’t be any worse than the ‘buskers’ outside Marks&Spencers. They add to the vibe, but the vibe was bad anyway. 

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Not a peep from Daffy or the other one that looks like Blakey. MHKs in action ……………. for the community. 

Daffy doesn't like emails at weekends or after PJ's and cocoa hour.  Perhaps she is too busy solving climate change?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

There’s a guy started singing outside the Beach Cafe recently. It really adds to the vibe of the day. No doubt he’ll be getting ‘hoofed’ too soon. 

Yes. He was there yesterday and it was lovely, to enjoy that with my coffee and cake :) 

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Has there been any trips/falls there recently? I’m trying to understand the logic behind the decision and can only assume it’s a liability issue? 

Had similar here, local pub had tables out on an unused bit of public highway. There will be liability issues should 'owt happen. Anyway here you can rent the land.

Tables were where the cars aren't parked, and there's no parking in summer anyway. 

Sad situation, some jobsworth complained.

See the source image

And another picture 'cos it's so nice.

See the source image

• Like 1